1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Names New Poker Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 11, 2007.

1. Dr. Pauly will be the new poker writer for ESPN covering the WSOP. Congrats to the good Dr.

http://taopoker.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html#3789024852961955294#3789024852961955294

Another example of a guy making a name for himself with a blog and then cashing in.

If you don't know Pauly - his Tao of Poker has been THE place to follow the WSOP the past few years.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

And when the fad dies? Where does he go then?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Poker writer.... wow.

4. Poker is not a fad. It is huge in Europe, Australia, the US and almost everywhere in the world.

And slappy - poker writer for ESPN. That is a big deal.

I must say that I'm not surprised about the sniping from the anonymous. Having to pathologically knock people to try and make yourself feel better is becoming the board hallmark. Well - knock yourself's out.

Let me say to the poker fans on the board - read Pauly's stuff (if you haven't already) and I know you won't be disappointed.

5. The game isn't a fad, you're right.

Poker as a sport however....

6. In defense of my boy Slappy, I don't think he was trying to knock on dude with the comment in a way to make himself feel better for his own miserable existence. I merely think he was making a comment that it's interesting that the job title 'poker writer' has become legit in the past few years. And it is interesting, as a commentary, not a criticism.

You're doing the sniping, Evil Bastard.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Um, I'm pretty sure he was implying that the guy was taking a gig that had no future.

8. I'm talking about slappy's comments, not SoSueMe's.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not. A. Fucking. Sport.

10. Not. According. To. Mother. Russia.

http://poker.bodogbeat.com/russia-declares-poker-a-sport-27366.html

11. The literal definition of a sport, as it is accepted by academics, is “A contest involving a physical skill and set rules, between two or more teams or individuals, leading to an end result (win, loss or tie)."

Curling is a sport.

Golf is a sport.

Auto racing is a sport.

Billiards is a sport.

Darts is a sport.

Poker is a game.

12. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Always good to hear about news from the Egotistical Spelling & Poker Network.

Draft saved Draft deleted