1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Mag story on LD athlete

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, May 1, 2008.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3361190

My two cents: Some people -- even intelligent people who may be quite capable of becoming productive employees -- are not cut out for college. Is there anything mean-spirited about postulating that someone who cannot write a sentence -- for whatever reason -- may not be capable of fulfilling degree requirements in the manner and time frame codified by NCAA policy? This is not to say such a person is subhuman or worthy of our disdain. Nor does it decree that all LD students are incapable of college. But I think this deal is analogous to a 7-foot, 300-pound guy who wants to join the Air Force. Such a candidate is simply too large to fit into fighter planes and therefore stands little chance of being admitted to the service.
    A college education is neither a civil right nor a test of human worth.

Opinions wanted ...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: What does everybody think of this?

LD? Lowest Denominator?

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Re: What does everybody think of this?

Learning disability.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ahhhh... much like me now...

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Dang. I've read some cold stuff on this board, but this is the all-time champ.
    Saying this is like saying that somebody in a wheelchair is not cut out for mobility, so don't bother building those ramps into the post office.

6. tapintoamerica

I disagree. I think my argument is like saying someone in a wheelchair is not cut out for a track scholarship. Build the ramps and allow as much access as you can. Just don't assume that an institution must be held accountable for things someone cannot reasonably achieve.
    Another analogy: If I wanted to be a jockey -- and I don't -- I don't think I'd have much of an argument. I'm too tall for the job.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ridiculous thread head

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This is ridiculous.
    The young man did not fail because he was not good enough at football.

9. tapintoamerica

Correct. He failed because he wasn't capable of meeting the academic requirements. That doesn't make him stupid or worthy of scorn; it means he couldn't fulfill the satisfactory-progress provision of NCAA eligibility statutes.
    An athletics scholarship is a two-part pact: sports and school. If this person is not capable of fulfilling the school-related requirements, he is a victim of misfortune rather than anything else.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's sad, but its the truth. Nothing mean about it really.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Twoback, I think you're missing tap's point, which perhaps could've been stated more eloquently but is valid, nonetheless. Learning disabilities come in various forms; sometimes a tutor is enough to help the affected get by, but sometimes there's only so much you can do. If the kid can't do the work to pass his classes, that's a sad reality. But it's reality.

It sounds like the kid maybe wasn't getting the help he needed at Auburn, but it's hard to pass judgment based on this story. The folks at Auburn can't really talk about it, so we get a one-sided story, and though I feel sorry for the kid, it seems like he might not have made it clear to the academic support staff that he wasn't getting enough (or the right kind of) help.

Knowing what I do about the amount of assistance provided to many college athletes, particularly starting football players at SEC schools, I find it hard to believe the people at Auburn would intentionally deny Trahan the help he needed to succeed. I can't help but think the biggest issue was a communication breakdown.

It seems Trahan has learned that lesson -- he asked for more help at his JUCO and seems to be doing well now -- and I hope it works out for him at Ole Miss. But I don't think it's fair to blame Auburn based on this story alone, and I don't think it's fair to assume any school should be able to provide the services necessary to allow any and every student with a learning disability to complete a degree.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's a DISABILITY.
    For goodness' sakes.
    You can't entertain for a second the possibility that the university fumbled the assistance process? Egads.
    You're telling somebody in a wheelchair that it's too doggone bad he can't climb the stairs.

Draft saved Draft deleted