1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN mag hires Chris Jones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

[quote author=jgmacg]

Seems to me this is true of our careers as well, that we can never have things as we imagine them to have been for those who came before us. We can only ever have our own work in our own moment, however flawed and hard and colorless that present moment seems to be.

[/quote]

How powerful. I hadn't seen that before today. And just to add to the thought, the Paris story makes me think about the other side of it. The things that unexpectedly exceed everything we thought they'd be. The things in my life I fully thought would be one way... that ended up being so brilliantly, colorfully, vibrantly more. Total surprises for perfect memories.

That particular night out in college-- you know the one. The way my son moves to me when I walk in the room. An interview I got and fuckin' nailed. The random Tuesday some high school kid told me in about 10 words how he got over Obsessive Compulsive Disorder-- a story that would have huge implications on my life. My first trip to Paris as a teenager-- I was without my parents on a girls tour group. Gorgeous Swiss guys chased us around the city. We didn't speak a word of their language, and they didn't speak ours. It was amazing. I got to feel what it's like to be in love (or at least in crush) in Paris.

For every heartsick disappointment, there's the opposite of that.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Couldn't happen to a better guy and a unbelievably talented writer.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Glad to see that the back page is going to become a destination again for at least ESPN.
    What used to be the first thing that I would go became a wasteland and both ESPN and SI.
    Seems like the last few writers that moved to back page committed career suicide. See Roberts, Selena.

Draft saved Draft deleted