1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN mag hires Chris Jones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 2, 2011.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Can you read Mag stuff online for free? Or are all the stories under the Insider thing?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pretty sure you have to be Insider.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not all stories are behind the Insider paywall.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Jonesy.

Can you do something about the design of the mag?

5. This really struck me for whatever reason. I don't mean to compare him to greedy Wall Street banker types, because Chris Jones seems to be a good person, and deserving of everything he gets. He's awesome. That said, this hit me with the OWS parallel: The math is the same. Chris Jones is the 1 percent. The rest of us, we are the 99 percent.

People everywhere are getting laid off. He (and very deservedly, don't get me wrong) gets an ESPN mag column on top of his Esquire gig.

He's the 1 percent.

I wonder, in journalism, what percent in talent, ability, whatever, you need to be to "make it," these days. Me, I figure I'm in the top 10 percent. Maybe even the top 8 percent. (Indulge me my delusions, I'm anonymous.) Hey, 20 years ago, even 10 years ago, you're a stud at that level. You could have a great, steady, comfortable gig. Now ...?

I figure you need to be in the top 3-5 percent to truly "make it" in this business these days. To either have a full-time gig at one of those major sites and/or not be constantly looking over your shoulder for that next round of layoffs.

Everyone else is either working for free or near free or, as I said, is living with the doom of layoffs just around the next bend.

There's the top 2-3 percent (Forde to Yahoo!, Feldman leaves ESPN and lands another great gig! Whitlock napalms yet another bridge!).

And then there's the rest of us. Again, not comparing those guys to greedy Wall Street types. But in this business, at this point in time ...

I'm close to that level. I think I'm close.

But in the end, I am the 99 percent.

(Bracing for the post that says it has always been this way, in every industry, and you just have to want it bad enough.)

Sorry to veer off on a gloomy tangent. But the ratio, the gap between the very top, and not just the bottom, but, well ... EVERYONE else ... was smacking me in the face.

Congrats to Chris (not "The") Jones.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

But Drake, there's also more opportunities than ever today for that "99 percent" to have their work seen. Thirty years ago, no one was going to see your work, even if you were one of the best, unless you did actually know someone or worked your way up.

Today, everyone can see your work and sometimes that's the right person and suddenly you're in that 1 percent - or 5 percent or whatever. Yes, you still need a bit of luck for the right people to see your work and they have to have an opening at their place, but great writers don't have to labor in anonymity these days, sentenced to be stuck at a weekly paper for the next 15 years.

I'm just thinking of guys like Simmons, Henry Abbott, Bethlehem Shoals, Drew Magary and countless more who have been discovered, who probably wouldn't have been decades ago.

I understand the occasional frustration but I don't think it should break off into despair. And, just because, here's one of my all-time favorite posts here, which addresses a bit of what you talk about, in a roundabout way:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2128131/

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't remember the exact stat, and it is a few years old, but 95 percent of people in journalism will never make $50K a year.

I didn't believe it when I heard it, but if you think about it, it's probably accurate. While almost every employee at a big paper might make that much, think of all of the small papers where nobody makes that much.

Chris Jones is an elite, elite talent. I don't think it's accurate to call him a 1 percenter, because he's much better than that.

There are 1 percenters who have lost their jobs in these purges over the last few years. The difference is, they're usually the ones to wind up a few weeks later at ESPN, CBS Sports, SI.com or some other website.

Back page columnist for The Mag? It shows that ESPN probably considers him among the top 20 sports journalists in the business, maybe even top 10.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is Boom in a coma or a snowdrift or something?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Huge plus to not have to plow through all the eyesore stuff to get to him. Flip issue over, open back flap, read one page, toss in recycling.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Poindexter has his contact info. I'm sure he'll locate him.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Terrific news, Chris - congrats!!

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fixed

Draft saved Draft deleted