1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN mag hires Chris Jones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He will be writing a backpage column for the magazine.
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I will miss his Esquire stuff...

When JT was on Kimmel last week, they were talking about the article that Jones wrote about him. They didn't mention him by name, but they showed the picture of both of them in costume at Comic-Con.

Pretty cool...
  3. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

He's still at Esquire, too.
  4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Good to hear. The ESPN release - "joins from Esquire" - sort of made it sound like he was leaving Esquire.
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Chris Jones Joins ESPN The Magazine as New Columnist

Award-winning journalist Chris Jones will join ESPN The Magazine as its new “Backpage” columnist beginning with the issue that hits newsstands November 16. Jones, who joins ESPN from Esquire and has contributed to ESPN The Magazine in the past, will develop and manage all aspects of content for the last page of each issue. He will report directly to editor-in-chief Chad Millman.

Recognized as one of the most decorated magazine writers of his generation, with his most recent post as writer-at-large for Esquire, Jones’ work has appeared in “Best American Magazine Writing” and garnered him two National Magazine Awards – one for his piece called “Home” about three astronauts stranded in the space station after the space shuttle Columbia explosion, and another for "The Things That Carried Him" about the return of a soldier’s body from Iraq. Jones initially joined Esquire as a contributing editor and sports columnist, and became writer-at-large when he won his National Magazine Award for Feature Writing for “Home,” which was later the basis for his first book, “Too Far From Home.”

Having worked in the past as a contributor for ESPN The Magazine, Jones’ work was included in the 2011 “Best American Sports Writing,” most recently for his story about free diver Herbert Nitsch, entitled “Breathless.” Jones has also written for publications including ESPN’s Grantland and The National Post, and served as the 2009 T. Anthony Pollner Distinguished Professor at his alma mater, the University of Montana – School of Journalism.

“Having worked with Chris over the years I know how much time and care he puts into every word he writes,” said Millman. “His stories are as eloquent and richly detailed as any being written today, about anything. Plus, he can grow a grizzly beard when he puts his mind to it. I admire that and look forward to having him join our team.”

Jones resides in Port Hope, Ontario.
  6. Mizzougrad96

This upsets me because I don't want to have any reason to read The Magazine.

Congrats to Jones though. I hope he got PAID.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I will now read Jones whenever I'm at JiffyLube, where they stock ESPN the Mag in the waiting room. It's win-win for me and our cars.
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

9. Mizzougrad96

It's still not enough to get me to subscribe.
  10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations, Chris.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought the same, but Esquire tweeted Jones would still be writing for them too.
  12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Congratulations, ESPN The Jones.
Draft saved Draft deleted