1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN loses a...well, a terrible one.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 31, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If someone is starting a new sports talk radio network don't you have to call Tony Bruno who has been with just about all of them at some point?
    I do find it interesting that CBS and NBC are both launching sports radio networks this year. ESPN and Fox had the market pretty much cornered. CBS has a deal with Cumulus stations, Fox is Clear Channel.. so who does that leave for NBC, ESPN and Yahoo Sports?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Of course they will. WFAN is a CBS station. You have CBS sports talkers in DC and Baltimore. Dallas and Chicago as well. When the announcement came out, there were lots of stations and future affiliates already listed. How much of the syndicated content they share will vary, but CBS can absolutely do this. Expect more play on the weekends and overnights I'm sure (which will render some of the Fox Sports and ESPN contracts adios), but some stations will carry the drive time programming, too. You can do that when you own the stations in question.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, as you point out, there's no way WFAN is going to turn over prime time programming to a national network. Sure, maybe they'll take overnight programming, but how many stations are going to take their morning and afternoon drive time shows?

The bigger the market, the harder they will be to clear.

In small markets, it will be cheap programming. In big markets, they won't make as much money as they do with their local programming.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

CBS owns the sports station in Cleveland. It uses Fox after midnight (J.T. the Brick and Looney) during the week and Saturday and after 7 on Sunday. I believe it will make the transition to the new CBS network in January.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

ESPN is probably getting very nervous about their radio empire.

Our flagship station was told by ESPN that if they were going to keep ESPN, then they had to carry Mike and Mike LIVE. We told them thanks, but no thanks, and switched over to FOX that afternoon.

Their afternoon programming (after VanPelt.....who I have heard may be going away, as he is supposedly operating without a contract) is rubbish. Mike and Mike are unlistenable.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Van Pelt re-signed not that long ago. He's sticking around. But yeah, one of the conditions for being an ESPN affiliate is that you have to carry M&M in the morning. I'm not sure that's a winning formula anywhere. I also don't know how many stations ESPN actually owns. ABC has been working harder and harder to get out of the radio business, though I was surprised when Cumulus signed on to the CBS venture considering that company owns what used to be the ABC stations. All of these syndicates will probably have an easy job keeping the small markets, since you just have to barter out some ad time. But losing ground in the bigger markets will hurt. Almost no one goes live and local overnight, and losing that presence there has to be disconcerting. And if the Cumulus stations are in play, that'll give CBS a presence in a lot of mid and smaller markets, too. Most of the Cumulus stations are in that mold, which is evident by the way that company is run. (ie; shitty)

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The new ESPN affiliate out here airs M&M on a one-hour delay, last time I checked. Same with the Turd.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've always liked him on ESPN. He knows his college basketball and doesn't shy away from voicing his informed opinion.

I get that people are always going to make credit card jokes, but that was many years ago, when he was a much younger man. I'd like to think that he's more than redeemed himself. The man on your radio bears no resemblance to the kid who made a mistake.

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I don't know if I've ever agreed more with a statement on this site. Gottlieb might be on my list of top 5 people I'd like to kick in the face.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nobody touches Berman in the ESPN douchebag hall of fame...

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Where is that video of him cussing out the camera people, or whoever it was, when you need it?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He's not that informed. He's just loud enough and drops enough names to appear to be informed.

I stopped caring a long time ago. I haven't listened to ESPN radio in years.

Draft saved Draft deleted