1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN looking for folks

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JayFarrar, Jan 30, 2008.

1. NateL

NateL New Member

Wow, are these anecdotes from applying for the 7 month Trainee position or a Stats job?

2. ericwbolin

ericwbolin New Member

I worked in this department for almost two years and still have great, great relationships with everyone in there.

PM me if you'd like any details.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Some have more fun than others.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/10/espn-coordinating-producer-arrested-peeping-tom-case

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm surprised that took this long to hit the site. And didn't get its own thread.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It wasn't a matter of being good enough. I was certainly good enough. But jobs are weird sometimes. Since then I've been offered better jobs and been turned down for much worse jobs. Oh well, such is life.

6. imjustagirl

I was just being flip.

There are good jobs and bad jobs everywhere. The stats job, from what I could tell, was complete immersion in numbers. No interaction, no nothing. You just pump out stats for every game. It wouldn't be a job I would have enjoyed, but would have been great for one guy I know. If it wasn't the right job for your friend, I'm sorry.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, you had a great experience and that must mean everybody has? Sorry, IJAG. That's just not true.

8. imjustagirl

I don't think I said that. What I said was that "abused" is an idiotic thing to say. No one is "abused."

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

a few co-workers of Michael Tirico and Sean Salisbury may disagree ;D ;D

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Assuming everybody's experience is like yours is idiotic, but it isn't the first time you've done it.

11. imjustagirl

Again, I'd love for you to find where I said that everyone's was like mine. In fact, YOU were the one who said "THEY abuse the people interviewing for their job, which kinda makes sense because THEY abuse them after hiring, too."

So if one of us was posting that everyone was treated the same by their bosses, one would have to take that as being you.

12. NateL

NateL New Member

Hey mustang and NBAonNBC, did you both apply for a stats job, or were you applicants for the trainee program for studio production? Thanks fellas

Draft saved Draft deleted