1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN looking for folks

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JayFarrar, Jan 30, 2008.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Just remember: This is the Worldwide Leader, everyone.

2. Cheng Sio

Cheng Sio New Member

I agree...

However,

They should have the decency to treat people like human beings, not pawns they can discard whenever they please. I've submitted a resume or two on their confusing site, never heard from them and moved on. In the cases of mustangj17 and NBAonNBC, they got far enough where they should have received a phone call instead of being left twisting in the wind. I would kill to work for the Worldwide Leader, but I also feel they don't care about you unless they want you, i.e. Brian Windhorst and Michael Wallace.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe dkp was using the phrase ironically.

They abuse the people interviewing for this job, which kinda makes sense because they abuse them after hiring, too.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!
    If it's this screwed up going in, you know what it's going to be like once you're in.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I was. I forgot the blue font, which I believe is custom when using sarcasm.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

This, and other tests like it, can't tell if you can do the job.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No. Not at all. But they are a good indicator of your base of knowledge - we gave a test for part-time slots at the TD that wasn't the final word in hiring by any stretch. But, perhaps oddly, it seemed those who did well on the test did well on the job.
    We work in sports. You have to have a basic knowledge of sports and stats and stuff and tests like these help you figure out who has that knowledge. I don't have a problem with the test portion of this hiring process.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, come the fuck on.

No one gets "abused" in their job. Not at ESPN, not anywhere else. You can leave any time you want to. You're not chained to a wall and beaten.

My 16 months there were good. Great benefits, great pay, good people, challenging job, FANTASTIC bosses. So don't act, as someone who's never been inside the walls, that ESPN is some horror job that people put up with just to have it on their resume.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I had a friend who ended up going there at a higher position. Said I should be thankful I didn't end up there.

10. imjustagirl

Sometimes we say polite things to people who aren't good enough.

"God, you should be glad you didn't go to that million-dollar wedding. It was so gaudy, what with all the diamonds. And the lobster wasn't even all that great."

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hey now!

:)

12. imjustagirl

Your wedding was a million-dollar one? I'm pissed I wasn't invited, even for subpar lobster.

Draft saved Draft deleted