1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN linking to a story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigJim5190, Aug 11, 2009.

1. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

Don't know if it's just a matter of me not paying attention before or if this is a new trend, but ESPN.com ran something on the Pitino story/REPORT tonight and actually linked to the Louisville-Courier Journal story when they credited them for breaking the story.

I've seen them credit other places before, but never linked directly to their story (within their own story). I kind of think that's the way it should be - as people should be able to read the LCJ story since they broke it.

Is this a new thing ESPN is doing now or have I just missed the earlier instances?

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I did not see this. And now that I've looked at it, I'm happy to see it.

We all know it is probably a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing that won't continue. But I've always thought it was a blatant, terrible ripoff for them to do it when they should probably be linking to the actual news.

The fact that "ESPN News Services" can re-write stuff is a sham.

3. BigJim5190

BigJim5190 Member

Exactly. I'm hoping the trend continues, because it's really nice to see. That being said, I have a feeling they just have a new copy editor at the WWL that has never posted breaking news at 11:30 p.m. before. Once the bosses wake up, he'll be fired for doing it.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That's weird, I clicked the link and it took me here: http://tinyurl.com/oox3td

Draft saved Draft deleted