1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: Les Miles to remain at LSU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dunno... swap Miles for Rich Rodriguez and it's like reading Finebaum a year ago...

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So wait, a guy who churns out books about dead people to sell to suburban housewives is now the chief of the money morality police?

Huh-uh. That dog won't hunt.

Les Miles might be sleaze personified, but that ain't the guy to say so.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Takes one to know one, Zeke?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who also happily scabbed during the Detroit newspaper strike.

He also wrote a huffy column about greedy moneygrubbing Ben Wallace going for the money with the Bulls. And another huffy column acting very hurt that Chris Webber had apparently been something less than truthful with him 10 years earlier.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2007/12/espn-airs-miles-press-conference-but.html">
    Awful Announcing has two clips: the first is the way ESPN presented the Miles statement, without the ESPN reference, and the second one is the entire statement.</a>

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Indignant columns from the source in question are more than a little amusing . . .

The guy's a wildly-successful commercial writer for the masses.

But in terms of giving readers the straight skinny on opinion issues of steaming interest to the bulk of his Detroit-area readership, the guy's laughable.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Awesome. Just awesome. I loved the chancellor. "What he said."

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for some Michigan fans to cry foul over this. Consider where Kirk went to college, after all.

I'm a Michigan fan, and I laughed like hell at Kirk saying "my sources are legit!" on SportsCenter last night. I didn't laugh so hard since Vitale all but gave Duke the national title in 99 and Connecticut won. I swear Dukie V was going to eat paper on the air.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Album's column is right on the money in this sense: Miles brought the heat onto himself, with the way he handled the situation from Day 1.

The disingenuous whining about someone being a money whore, that I could've done without.

10. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

Why hasn't anyone pointed out that Desmond Howard of ESPN was on the "selection committee"? I'd be willing to bet that he was Herbie's source. I'd also be willing to bet he gets his ass bounced off Game Day next year if he was.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It was mentioned on the other thread.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of that but I guess it could be possible somebody from Michigan wanted to fuck with an Ohio State guy.

But yeah, I think the real story is similar to what happened with Rodriguez last year. Somebody leaked it and Miles was forced to turn the job down.

Draft saved Draft deleted