1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN LA staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Dec 18, 2009.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I probably shouldn't talk because my own last name is long and unusual and frequently misspelled, but the Kamenetzky Brothers sounds like a circus act. Maybe the Flying Kamenetzky Brothers or something like that.

2. Mediator

Mediator Member

I am a little stunned that the site is dismissed after being up for a few hours. The stories I read were good and L.A.-focused, and the venture is a legitimate attempt to cover a market that is being deserted by local papers.

As for the big names, ESPN needs to grab reporters who aren't just experienced, but who aren't afraid to capture video for the web, or stick around and blog. I know a lot of distinguished vets that don't want to be bothered with that. Look how Reiss is covering the Pats, it's energy and hustle, blogging and Tweeting. The ESPN regionals are covering the same territory as the newspapers, but it's not exactly the traditional newspaper job.

And no, I don't work for ESPN.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I agree with Mediator. Mainly, as a SoCal sports fan, I just like having another SoCal-focused sports outlet.

The staff there may not be "big names," but a few of them are known to people who have read papers in the area, and I think, given time to grow, it will be successful.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody is dismissing the site.

They're saying that today's offerings are not necessarily must-reads...and they're not.

The site, and its writers, will grow, develop, improve and evolve over time, though, I'm sure. It's an exciting venture, and those tabbed by ESPN for the opportunity are fortunate to be involved.

5. Registered_Muser

Registered_Muser New Member

Second day: The only new thing on their site this morning is a "LA SportsCenter" video updating the Joe McKnight situation, but nothing new from the writers.

I didn't mean my last post as a total putdown. My suspicion, though, is that if we're looking for a daily written product here we're not going to get it, at least not for a while, because they're starting out with a thin staff and depending on existing ESPN properties (TV, radio and .com) to flesh it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted