1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN is at rock bottom...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 13, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Who decides whether RG3 meets authenticity standards (besides Harvard)?

Are there televised meetings?

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Rob Parker, for one.

3. poindexter

So far, Rob and Harvard.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Alma, only Rob can speak about what he said. As for my friends (a few more who are African-American have read the posts), they have found the conversation along here interesting. One pointed out that it's amazing how clueless some non African-Americans are and how gullible they are to believing stereotypes.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Snarky, but not answering what I asked.

If you don't want to engage in the question at hand, don't. But I think it's rude to sit there and crap on anyone trying to be intentional about it.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Alma, I'm not trying to be snarky. I thought I answered your question.

7. poindexter

I want to engage. I think it is fucking ridiculous in 2012 to question whether a black guy has a white wife.

Is that non-snarky enough for you?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's a safe answer for you and for your friends, quite frankly, a copout answer. Sorry, but we engage in reading comprehension all the time as adults and, additionally, we're smart enough to know that most people, once they say something controversial or unfortunate, will suggest they meant something else entirely, when, in fact, they probably didn't.

It's easy to sit there and say "clueless" and "gullible." Deadspin does that all day, then suggests the old "fuck all this shit" solution to thinking and being, which, of course absolves them of any real responsibility for a position. But it's not so easy to sit there and actually provide a thoughtful, intricate answer and deal with the consequences of what might be incorrect.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course it is.

So why did Rob Parker - himself African-American - question RGIII's standing as an authentic black man by ever mentioning it?

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'll engage it. Yes, obviously Parker was talking about the authenticity BS. But, why, I have no idea. It's just stupid. It has absolutely nothing to do with RGIII as the quarterback of the Redskins. So Rob might not like him personally because he doesn't think he acts black enough? Who gives a shit, that's Rob's problem.

With the example of the rap performer, like Azrael mentioned earlier, there at least is tangential relevance to his career. If a rap star is perceived to be faking his street cred, it can quickly ruin his career. So, in that context, it might be relevant discussion for someone in that profession. But RGIII ain't a rap star, he's a football player, and that BS doesn't have a damn shred of relevance to a football career. So why the hell are you even talking about it, Rob?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is the answer "Because he's an idiot"?

12. poindexter

Because ESPN pays him to bark like a Hawaiian Monk Seal - knowing that there is a very small percentage of viewers - like you and the symposium at Harvard, who will rub their chins, and go "Hmmmmm.... Maybe he's got something there.."

Draft saved Draft deleted