1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN is at rock bottom...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So Rob Parker called RGIII an Uncle Tom?

And he still has a job?

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I thought this would be about ESPN showing high school basketball games all night ...

Seriously, we've all seen "First Take" (unfortunately) and should not be surprised this idiotic statement about RGIII originated there.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Not at all. As someone pointed out, when Stephen A. Smith is the sane one...

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Steak hit this one directly. SAS sounds like a genius. Rob? Well, this is one time my old friend should've just STFU.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So I guess Rob won't be until Griffin gets busted for running a dog-fighting ring?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Because RG3 has united Chocolate City in a way I haven't seen for decades, and has been raised well by his parents to the point he comes off as nothing but an outstanding, young man, he's not black enough for Rob Parker.

Wow.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think I understand what Parker was trying to get at here - 'authenticity' is a central question in urban African-American culture - but this wasn't the place to have a nuanced Q and A about it. Bad tactical move, even if his approach to the subject was meant to be sincere.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The few Parker columns I've read all struck me as poorly written crap. The few times I've seen him on this stupid show he always comes across as a nitwit. This is the same guy who called Hank Aaron a "coward" in a column. This is the same guy who falsely reported that Kirk Cousins got into a drunken brawl with Michigan State Hockey players at a time when Cousins was actually attending church with his parents in an entirely different town.

How the fuck did this idiot get where he is? Is there some body of redeeming Parker work out there that I've missed?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

MLK would have a field day with this tool.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yeah, Deadspin took him for a ride a couple months ago.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/92923/

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

'authenticity' is a central question in urban African-American culture? What book did you dig that out of?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Rap artists are an easy example to illustrate. Are they street? Or are they not? 'Authentic' or 'inauthentic?' It took Diddy years to get past that question.

Draft saved Draft deleted