1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Holly Rowe shoves reporter to get interview with brady Hoke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Jan 4, 2012.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

No, but if that is indeed the case. Rowe should (and may already have) make a phone call and privately apologize to the rep she shoved aside.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Funny response from Angelique:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120104/OPINION03/201040434/Chengelis-Non-shove-ESPN-s-Rowe-good-15-minutes-fame?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm having a lot of fun showing people all the recent examples of online/Twitter coverage that requires corrections updates because people just can't wait to get the facts before rushing to post something.

The evolving subject line of this thread, which in its second version is still not accurate, is also an example.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

But they got it first!!!

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I don't like scrums but they happen. I was covering a state playoff basketball game when a TV dude tried to plow his way through me to get to a coach. At 6-1, 215 it takes some effort to move me. I shoulder blocked the guy into the side of the stage behind me. We weren't even going for the same interview. If he had been polite and said excuse me I would have been glad to let him through.

That video makes Holly look bad.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Total non-story, and but in that clip the media relations woman was clearly holding a voice recorder to Hoke's face. Why?

Holly has nothing to apologize for. As Mizzou said earlier, this is only getting attention because it involved two women and one was from espn.

And it's an insult to scrums to describe that moment as such.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I'd guess the Sugar Bowl PR rep wanted to get audio for a transcript that would then be distributed to the media on hand at the event or posted on the Sugar Bowl's media Web site, if they operate one.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, it's a non-story to journalists. But regular viewers see that and think "Whoa. That was rude." Which, in the grand scheme of manners, it is.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree, Alma. As a non-journalist, I understand that the first person should not have been trying to get the interview, within the context of after game rules (which I was not aware of prior to watching the clip). However, I do agree that it was not handled as it could have been. It wasn't a shove and I don't know if I would go so far as to say it was rude, but it does come off making Rowe look bad. In the opinion of someone on the outside looking in.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If this were between two women and neither were part of ESPN or any other noted network, it would be the subject of massive snark here, no matter the names involved.

But because it involves a fairly well-known ESPN sort, it gets this kind of overkill. Kudos to Angelique for bringing some humor to whatever issue there might be.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree it looks terrible. But in the chaos of the moment--the game just ended--what's she supposed to say, 'oh, heck, you're already talking to the coach, go ahead, we'll wait!"?? Ask to see her credentials? If you're espn, you're entitled to your two questions before anyone else, and I'm pretty sure any TV reporter in her position would have done the same.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

YouTube chooses to acquiese to copyright holders. Places like Dailymotion and Funny or Die do not. Now we can get into a similar argument to what Napster and torrent sites generated as far as ethics and "stealing" or whatever, but YouTube's acquiesence merely shows it's part of the Establishment now. And it doesn't have to be; after all, Dailymotion and Funny or Die are still up and running.

Draft saved Draft deleted