1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Holly Rowe shoves reporter to get interview with brady Hoke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: ESPN Holly Rowe shoves Angelique Chengelis to get interview with brady Hoke

As pointed out, ESPN pays for the right to get first crack at the coaches after the game. I don't have any problem with that. I also don't have a problem with a reporter who is on a tight deadline, leaning in to grab a couple quotes.

I'm guessing I'm not the only person on this board who has had to file a running gamer and call in some quotes to the desk as you run off to the press conference.

Rowe did nothing wrong. She was getting the first crack that her network pays for, and can you imagine what would have happened if she didn't get Hoke first or God forbid, missed him altogether?

I also agree that the Michigan or Bowl PR staff is first and foremost to blame for this. Every college game I've ever covered clears the way for the person from ESPN or CBS or whomever to get the first interview with the coach.

2. ksimpson

ksimpson New Member

My favorite "shove" story ...

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2004/04/27/sports/simpson.html

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Didn't Joe Namath try something simliar already?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, we are. The bar's been lowered for so long . . . such mealy-mouthed crap. Utter waste of airtime, not to mention oxygen. It's not journalism . . . it's an extension of the commercial presentation. And there we are.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Football's not basketball. It's absolutely impossible to keep people off the field if they're already on the sidelines when the game ends.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I doubt that Joe would have hit on Holley.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So who was the other reporter?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What would Heather Cox do?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Shit, go cover a NASCAR race. You need the fourth-place finisher? You can stand there in a huddle around him for five minutes while the ESPN/Fox/TNT reporter stands next to him, waiting for the live throw. No questions in that time, just in case it goes live. So you're waiting for an interview you have to wait out. It's AWESOME.

10. Boom_70

Hoke would have thrown the other reporter out of the way in that case.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Can't say I pay too much attention to the on-field interviews because it is slow-pitch softball most of the time, but Mack Brown before the Holiday Bowl with Jenn Brown, I think, was actually interesting. Couple legit questions with what seemed to be a couple thought out answers.

12. Boom_70

I bet you buy Playboy for the stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted