1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN hiring NFL beat writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MiselisM, Jul 25, 2013.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

They posted a list yesterday with all the hires. Think they're done.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

From the release at the bottom:

"Note: ESPN is in the process of hiring reporters in the remaining NFL markets"

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/08/espn-com-expands-nfl-nation-network-with-sites-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not a bad hire in the bunch...

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Sando and Seifert, their best NFL bloggers, deserved those promotions. Moving them off a beat might account for the new-hire revision from 19 to 21.

On the flip side, a couple of the weaker divisional guys should improve with only one team to cover.

Left to fill:
    Arizona:
    Atlanta:
    Cleveland: (still think Grossi makes the most sense here)
    Detroit:
    Jacksonville: Michael DiRocco (ESPN.com University of Florida beat writer) -- tweet 1, tweet 2
    Kansas City:
    New Orleans:
    San Diego:

5. mediaguy

Looking back at that ESPN list, only has 24 teams listed, so still hires to make.

Mike DiRocco, who has covered Florida for ESPN (and T-U before that), announced on Twitter tonight he's the new Jaguars writer for ESPN.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I wonder if they're willing to pay enough to get Adam Teicher or Kent Somers, two of the best NFL beat writers I can think of at the day-to-day stuff ESPN wants.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Ya don't say.

8. mediaguy

Pseudo, didn't see your post when I wrote ...

9. Mizzougrad96

Somers would be a no-brainer. He's just an awesome writer and an even better guy.

Teicher is probably making enough money that the jump to ESPN wouldn't be the no-brainer move that it was for some of these guys. I know some of these guys are making a lot more money than others, so it becomes a question of is ESPN willing to play $50K more a year for someone when they get someone for a lot less money.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

DiRocco is another solid hire.

Anybody hear anything on the New Orleans front? They could target Nakia Hogan, a one-time Saints guy moved to Pelicans for the Picayune. Or they could target somebody off Saints staff like John DeShazier, but that seems unlikely. They might leave the market, but I'm struggling to think of who they would go get.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Was watching SportsCenter the other night, and I guess Jaworski had said Kaepernick could become the best quarterback ever, and in the Niners' locker room Kaepernick gets the question "Ron Jaworski says you could become the best quarterback ever, how do you respond to that?"

I really hope that self-aggrandizing attitude and the self-generated "news" isn't the purpose for these beat writers. But I suspect it is.

12. Mizzougrad96

Sadly, it's become the purpose for almost all of the beat writers, not just the ESPN guys...

Draft saved Draft deleted