1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN hiring NFL beat writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MiselisM, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If David Newton switches beats, that leaves Ryan McGee, Terry Blount, Marty Smith and has-to-be-near-retirement Ed Hinton. McGee is more of a jack-of-all-trades magazine reporter. Maybe they'll put him more on college football. But I think even without rights, ESPN certainly would be wise to keep at least two or three full-time NASCAR reporters.

The ripple effect will be felt much, much more by the broadcast side than the writing side.

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Good, natural move for David. He was one of the original Panthers beat writers.
    Wonder if they contacted Charlotte guys first.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

A couple more: Tania Ganguli (Houston Chronicle) staying on Texans beat, Scott Brown (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review) swapping PSU for Steelers.

Also, since Tony Grossi already works for ESPNCleveland, I'd be surprised if he isn't the choice there.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Ryan's safe, because of his magazine work ... I'd also say Marty Smith is safe because he was working more on the TV side of the operation than on the web side (he'll probably become the guy who catches the drivers at the chopper pad after the races :D) ... Blount and Hinton (yeah, REALLY close to retirement) should be looking around ... and on the broadcast side, somebody from Fox/NBC needs to get their hooks on Ricky Craven NOW ...

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

If NBC wants to employ a Ricky Craven-Allan Bestwick-Dale Jarrett booth, I'm more than fine with that.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Actually, I think it'd be better with Bestwick-Jarrett-Andy Petree or Ray Evernham, with Craven and Evernham doing pre-race from a "Hollywood Hotel-type" setup in the infield ... but you could swap Craven and Jarrett and wouldn't lose a step, as well as Petree-Evernham ... but no Brad Daugherty! :)

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like they're moving the division bloggers to teams.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Phil Sheridan tweeted that he's leaving the Philly Inquirer to cover the Eagles for ESPN.com.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you mean Bill Williamson.

10. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

Anyone heard who the Chiefs writer will be? Seems to be plenty of options at the star as well as a few former star writers rolling around KC.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Long time member, turned recent lurker, turned back to active member for this thread...

I hear ESPN struck out with guys from the Times-Picayune. Wondering if anybody has heard what they are doing with that position. Saints are a weird market in that Louisiana loves them and so does the Mississippi coast, but really the T-P/Nola.com is the only paper that blows out their coverage of them. So striking out on those guys means you struck out in general.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

But stick around for college football.

Draft saved Draft deleted