1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN: High ethics 1, Deplorable dreck 0!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a mention here of Jay Mariotti's column on Chicago sports radio:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/785028,mariotti020908.article

Here are a couple of his money quotes:

• I could make an aggressive case that Coppock be fired, knowing WMVP is owned and operated by ESPN, a company that demands good taste and high ethics and won't stand for deplorable dreck.

[*]As one who has worked five-plus years for ESPN, does a daily TV program seen globally and respects the network's solid on-air standards, I'm stunned at what is tolerated at WMVP.

Mariotti had no trouble taking WMVP's money for years and never wrote anything like this back when he was on the payroll. Maybe he figures ESPN will keep him on the air this way, fearing a rip job once he's cut loose.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I actually posted the Coppock story on the Sports/News board, but might belong here instead, I don't know.

If this happened in NY, it would be a national news story, for sure.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh my god, he wasn't being sarcastic.

He did try to partially cover himself by referring to the Mouse's ". . . . ON-AIR
    standards" (emphasis mine).

Even that's debatable. They did hire Rush, and there have been plenty of close calls eminating from Bristol's party animals.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Outside of the questionable ESPN hand job, I thought it was a solid column. Sports talk radio hacks need to be held accountable more often.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ESPN is obviously fine with deplorable dreck, since they put Jay-boy on the air.

6. Deplorable Dreck is my new band name.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

There's *my* point.

Not ethical to write the column, especially because he was blowing the TV side.

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

Deplorable dreck ... Stuart Scott ... who knew there was a difference?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good taste? High on-air standards?

I'll have what ever he's having... and make it a double.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Here's Berman, with some more of that good taste and high ethics, as unearthed by the blogs. What Berman's eyes are doing to this woman is illegal in over half the countries in the world.

Oh, fuck it, one more:

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Sportscasters with dirty mouths and wandering eyes? Scandalous!

Thanks for the laugh.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, at the risk of REALLY outing myself...the woman in the video in question is someone I've known for almost 20 years. Absolute sweetheart, in fact we are doing a show together tomorrow. Trust me, there is nothing here.

Draft saved Draft deleted