1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN graphic: "The Could Have Beens"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 3, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No question about it. Those two absolutely had the physical tools to become among the best to ever play the sport and they let drugs ruin their careers. They're probably on the Mount Rushmore of Unfulfilled Potential.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As I was reading that post I was thinking to myself how I had all those rookie cards that were supposed to be worth thousands by now.

And, yes, the back cost Donnie the HOF. I loved watching that dude.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Seeing mention of Grant Hill makes me think of the guy who went two picks ahead of him, Glenn Robinson. He could shoot, but never developed anything else in his game. That happens when you spend your summers partying rather than working on your game.

And now that I'm reminded of Robinson, can't help but think of his one-time teammate Vin Baker, who drank himself out of the game.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ellis Burks was a monster in RBI Baseball.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Petrovic.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pelle Lindbergh

7. Yeah, but he was unabashed asshole.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sidd Finch. The guy just disappeared.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Mark Fidrych, Jim Bouton. ... And Joe Charboneau!!!

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

If you wanted to go for the very-good-but-could-have-been-more route, Griffey Jr.? You didn't expect him to stay that awesome and his style obviously led to injuries, but his last 11 years produced two all-star nods and one year with a couple MVP votes, and his overall body of work is still pretty outstanding.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Michel Brière

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I loved Wally Joyner when he played and cussed up a storm when the Angels just let him go, but he was what he was: A smooth, fairly consistent line-drive hitter who went on a power binge in the first half of his rookie season and then posted a career high in the juiced-up-ball 1987 season. Good, solid career, but he was never going to put up the career numbers that people expected after those first two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted