1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN graphic: "The Could Have Beens"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 3, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lindros is a tough one. He was the most dominant player in the league for a few years until concussions ruined him.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That doesn't count. ESPN didn't exist then.

dixiehack and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I saw they went back to Tony Conigliaro, but I guess that was the Boston exception.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have to cringe whenever I see the term "unfulfilled potential".

Who's to decide what your potential is or was? Just because some publication or scout or GM said at one time, "X can be among the best who ever played" doesn't put the burden of achieving that on the athlete.

Sometimes the experts are just flat-out wrong and should be held accountable for being just flat-out wrong. "We're sorry. We thought you'd be really, really good. You're not. Our mistake."

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

And should be in the HOF. I'm as big a Cam Neely fan as there is, but if Neely's in Lindros should be too.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agreed and I think Dick mentioned that in his first post.

Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell were morons who could throw the ball really far. That's it. They did fulfill their potential, it's just that's what their potential was. I think there have to be some extenuating circumstances (mostly injury) to qualify.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I always wondered how good Chris Herren could have been, too.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There were those who said that because of his chronic leg injuries and alcohol abuse, Mickey Mantle was never really the player he could have been.
    Not to mention that had he cut down a LITTLE on boozing and binge-eating, Babe Ruth might really have had a hell of a career.

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

Took several years off in Orlando to lengthen his career.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Agreed. He should get in soon but he already should be in.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm thinking, too, about some of the guys who had their careers cut into by various wars overseas.

Another one who belongs in the list above Matt freaking Leinart is J.R. Richard.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I always thought that Sean Salisbury could have become a great analyst.

Sea Bass and cyclingwriter2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted