1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN grabs a good one from Baltimore Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't Eric do national football and Maryland basketball?
    Or has that been changed?

2. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

If I recall correctly Mark Schlabach did most of the national college football and college basketball coverage. Prisbell was free to cover national interest stories and recruiting and such, but focus primarily on Maryland. Now he will be doing national football and basketball.

3. Moderator1

Schlabach has been gone from the Post for at least two football seasons.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Dinich has done a great job for the Sun. And her coverage of the Terps football team this year has been lightyears ahead of the Post's, which seems to rotate its coverage between Maryland, UVA, and Virginia Tech daily instead. Great pickup for ESPN. Plus, she's a heck of a nice person.

The Post has cut back its coverage of Maryland football, and Heather and Pat Stevens at the Wash Times have dominated the coverage as a result.

And Moddy, Prisbell does MD hoops and national football. Marc Carig has been on Maryland football, while Adam Kilgore does the Virginia schools.

5. Moderator1

That's what I thought.

6. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

My bad you are right about Schlabach. As I've said I think Dinich does good things with her blog and maybe that is the sole goal of espn.com is to get an ACC blogger, but if they want someone to write in-depth features I believe there are multiple better writers in the ACC for it. But in the end it may have simply come down to the fact Heather is young and does have a good amount of potential.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What a nice backhanded compliment from you, JCT89.

8. Moderator1

He's a little behind, DD. Still reading Schlabach in the Post.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Are you sure about Carig? Unless he recently was moved away from men's hoops, I remember he covered the Terps for the Post last season.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No he didn't. It's impressive though how many people feel qualified to comment on who covers the Terps better when they don't know who the beat writers are.

11. I definitely remember reading Prisbell's work about Maryland and Kilgore's work about the VA schools--and Carig seemed to do the other DC-area schools, mostly George Washington.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I stand corrected then. I remember seeing Carig at Comcast Center for the men's games a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted