1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN giving NFL about $2 billion a year...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 6, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/espn-close-to-extending-media-rights-with-n-f-l/

So much for the need for a lockout?

Maybe some of the experts on the board can tell me this: Why can't the NFL go public and offer stock?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I think the league just doesn't allow it, outside of the Packers, who are a publicly-owned team. But people who buy Packers stock have to sell it back to the team, and can't make a profit.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I assume that the league doesn't allow individual teams to do so. Also, the teams are not jointly owned, so by saying the NFL going public, it's not like the teams will combine for that purpose.

As to the league itself as an entity, there's no need. The reason why you go public is to cash out by selling a piece of your ownership and the league is a cash cow. Also, going public opens you up to all sorts of regulatory and disclosure requirements.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why in the Sam Hill would they do that? The reason you go public is to raise more money to build your business. That's the last thing the NFL needs. And if they do go public, all of their information -- such as, oh, I don't know, how much money they're really making -- is on display for all to see. No more crying poor in negotiations.

Over on the biz pages, Facebook just cut a sweetheart deal with Goldman Sachs that should delay or entirely prevent going public. That's the setup any company would want, getting gobs of money without any accountability, and that's what the NFL has.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think a basic course in sports business should be necessary for someone to get a job as a sports reporter.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

really? even if you cover Walnut Grove, Roosevelt, Hickory, etc.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The ignorance of how things work amazes me sometimes. And who says you'll be covering preps the rest of your life?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

i don't cover preps but i could see how someone who has and maybe isn't near a pro team might ask the question.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

So if ESPN is giving NFL $2 bil a year, why is ESPN kissing the NFL's ass and not vice versa?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a lot of coin -- with no Super Bowl and probably no playoff games in the mix.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

On the contrary, this stocks the owners' war chest for the upcoming extended (1 full season plus) lockout in which the NFLPA will be reduced to cinders.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Why would you pay that much and then be critical? You pay that much, you build up what you paid for like it's been heaven-sent from God.

Draft saved Draft deleted