1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN gets BCS: Does this change the landscape for good?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3710477

I think baseball has hurt itself by going with cable all the way to the World Series. Now, the national championship game will be limited only to cable subscribers. Is this the beginning of the end of network sports or will these entitities ultimately bite off the hand that feeds them?

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Anyone without cable is going to bed at 8 p.m. anyways.

3. ScribePharisee

Well maybe, but in a tight economic environment, cable becomes an option and premium cable a more costly option. ESPN has tried to push for bigger fees from cable operators and ultimately, I believe, will go premium with some of its top-shelf programming, leaving what's known as ESPN now for high school and gasp - youth league sports.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, ESPN is going to start and HBO-style pay channel for its NFL, MLB, NBA and college football and basketball.

Are you serious?

5. ScribePharisee

Yes I am.

Because Fox Sports is already doing that, asking cable operators to pay more for games involving teams in its region by putting them on premium channels.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

no ones paying for ESPN Full Court now, why would they on PPV? Its so easy to set up a system to mirror it and broadcast the games on computer, ask Nebraska football fans

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Guess the other BCS tv thread wasn't good enough?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you get ESPN on your TV, around $3 of your cable or satellite bill each month goes to ESPN. That will go up next time ESPN negotiates with the distributors. So your bill will go up too.

Otherwise, it changes nothing. And, honestly, probably helps the BCS more than being an afterthought to the NFL on Fox.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

A long time ago, I told a colleague of mine that the NFL would love to make the Super Bowl a pay per view event. He laughed while saying that would never happen to college football.
    I think he owes me a drink, or something.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Guess not ...

Draft saved Draft deleted