1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Fires Curt Schilling for Anti-Transgender Comments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

There has to be a great book about the '93 Phillies. Schilling, Dykstra, Dalton, Williams ... That clubhouse had to be a surreal place.

2. SportyGirl

SportyGirl New Member

Right, because blacks are just getting a pass when it comes to second and third chances.

Marv Albert admitted to abusing a woman and was convicted. Got his job back and got a raise. Mike Barncle freak'n made up stuff and he's on television every day. Please show me examples of black journalists committing similar sins and getting a pass. Wasn't Rob Parker was suspended just for calling RGIII a cornball brother?

This thread is about Schilling and his need to put his politics above his position on ESPN. How this turned into a Susan Miller-Blame-a-Black-Man moment, I do know.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Stephen A. Smith and Chris Broussard are perfect examples of ESPN's hypocrisy. I don't feel bad for Schilling, but spare me the idea that ESPN is standing up for its principles here. It's a calculated PR move (with the added benefit of getting rid of a malcontent).

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Were you not listening when Stephen A. Smith told you it's your fault if your husband beats your ass because you didn't properly consider the "elements of provocation?"

SnarkShark likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bad WWL decisions? Rush Limbaugh on NFL pregame is HOF.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think it's sad that a guy continually chops away at his own legacy in an effort to be "insightful" or to keep it real.
    You would think a heart attack, cancer scare and bankruptcy would humble a guy, bring him closer to his deity and fellow man.
    Not with him.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Curt Schilling seems to know it all, though, and he's capable of putting a close observer in the uncomfortable place of admiring his gritty determination as much as his splitter, but also of coming to the conclusion that the man is as full of crap as the Christmas goose. He is a Serious Fellow, and he's most Serious about being seen as a Serious Fellow.

Mr. Pierce from 2004.

Curt Schilling: Great pitcher, better self-promoter.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, you can rip Schilling to shreds for any number of things. But he's still the best baseball player ever born in Alaska.

upload_2016-4-21_15-37-4.png

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If he ain't careful he's going to be remembered for all this garbage and not a whit for his baseball achievements.

Lugnuts likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Great point on Broussard and Smith.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Since they are fellow Alaskan conservative thinkers, maybe Curt and Sarah Palin can head to Cleveland and gin up some support to be the Republican ticket in a brokered convention.

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted