1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN fanning the Billy D to UK flames

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That wasn't a dig at you, Mizzou, or anyone else. But hey, as a board we do pontificate on issues like this a whole lot!

Unlike Phil Martelli, I guarantee you Donovan leaves FLA. Unless he doesn't.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Someone said Donovan as a greedy careerist. No; I would say at Florida he succeeded one of those shameless careerists in Lon Kruger. That guy's resume has "Larry Brown-like job whore" written all over it.

Donovan built Florida into something it hadn't even dreamed of being before, a consistent national player. And if he seeks a new challenge and wants to gain the legendary status that winning at a Kentucky brings, then good for him.

Is Phil Martelli still alive? Thanks to Jameer Nelson, he has one team that people really take notice of nationally, and they still call him for his opinion. Which he is only too happy to give as the big fish in a very small pond.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

makes him no different than 90 or more percent of other college and pro coaches

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If Donovan was horrible in the NBA, there would still be dozens of top college programs lining up to fire their coaches to get him.

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'll go ahead on go out on a limb here, based solely on feel for what's going around Lexington right now.

UK will have a new coach no later than Friday afternoon. If it's not Billy Donovan, it will be Billy Gillispie. And that's my prediction.

No real basis, just a fairly educated guess based on some of the stuff that's been said and done in the last week or so.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And if neither of them takes the job, then it's time for the ol' Billy Baroo ...

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

If Donovan doesn't come, Lexington will look like Jonestown.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

God, these are the times I wish I still lived in Lexington so I could watch all the news channels fall over themselves with the coverage of the press conference.

O/U on the number of UK blue jackets on anchors: 4.
    O/U on the number of UK pins on LEX-18 reporters: 5.
    O/U on the number of times anyone on camera (working for the station) becomes overcome with glee: 7.
    O/U on the number of time Pitino's name is mentioned: 3.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

No o/u on the times the TV people refer to UK as "we"?

10. turnovers

turnovers Member

Biggest bunch of homer TV reporters/anchors I've ever seen. Of course, Alan Cutler offends everyone, so maybe he counts as one who isn't on the side of the ... TRUE BLUE!

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Just because he's a dickbag doesn't mean he doesn't like UK. He has that weird pause thing, like he's William Shatner.

My favorite Cutler story (I wasn't around for the infamous dressing down Pitino allegedly gave him): UK-UofL football game at the big Pizza Stadium in 2000, which UK lost in OT after a nasty lightning storm. So I trudge down to the visitor's locker room, walking in right behind Mumme. Cutler and his camera guy are still getting set up. Mumme steps up to the podium, and Cutler says 'Coach, can you hold on a minute, we're almost ready?'
    Mumme just shredded him.
    The only time I've ever rooted for that assclown Mumme.

12. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Hey, you be a fan how you want to be a fan, and I'll be a fan how I want to be a fan. [/EllisRedding]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.