1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN fanning the Billy D to UK flames

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Which:
    (A) is probably true and
    (B) makes him no different than hundreds of other college and pro coaches

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The relevant question in this thread is "Is Billy Donovan a SMART soulless greedy careerist? If he is, he'll stay put. Otherwise, he'll buy himself grief at Kentucky.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he's just squeezing as much money as he can out of Florida. Based on what he's done for that program, he's worth every cent...

If he leaves, the program will completely collapse and I'm guessing everyone at UF knows that, even though it might be scary to pay the hoops coach $1 million a year more than what Urban Meyer is getting...

4. Mizzougrad96

I don't think he goes... Or if he does, I think it will be to the NBA, especially if the Heat job opens up...

I think he knows about the pressure at UK.

I don't think he wants to be pitted against Pitino, his mentor...

I think he knows Florida will match any offer he gets from Kentucky...

I know he could stop all the talk by saying he's not interested in the job, but why on earth would he want that? The best way to get more money is to make your boss think you're about to go to the competition...

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Exactly. And once that domino falls, then all of the others (starting with the Billy Gillispie rumors) will fall, too.

6. Mizzougrad96

If Donovan leaves, who does Florida hire?

Our college writer said the buzz in Atlanta is that the job will be Anthony Grant's if Donovan leaves.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Someone floated that to me...but would UF hire a guy with one year experience, even though he beat Duke and spent 10 years on the UF bench?

8. Mizzougrad96

Donovan only had two years experience when UF hired him and he never went to the NCAAs at Marshall...

The best thing UF could do is try to keep the program as similar as it was with Donovan, and my guess is Grant would be best suited to do that.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was wondering the same thing.

I bet if (when) Donovan goes this year, Grant gets the gig because I'd imagine the recruits knew him pretty well. Any other time and a coach with one year at a mid-major wouldn't even get a sniff of a gig like this.

As for Donovan, why would he go to the pros, except to flop? You think NBAers would take Eddie Munster seriously? No way. I hope Donovan is smart enough to realize that's a hugely backward move.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I don't see Donovan going to the NBA. His mentor is Rick Pitino, a guy that was on top of the college basketball world when he decided to jump to the NBA and failed miserably. And if you don't believe that Pitino regrets that move almost every day of his life, you haven't listened to him talk enough.

And as close as Donovan and Pitino still seem to be, I think Pitino would advise him against such a move.

If Billy D ever leaves Florida for anything but retirement, it's going to be next week to the University of Kentucky.

Here's the thing: no one knows what's going on. Donovan is side-stepping every question. Jay Wright has taken his name out of consideration, effectively turning down a job that he was never a real candidate for anyway. Gillispie, widely considered Plan B by much of the media around here, apparently turned down an extension to wait a week or two to see what happened in the college basketball word. UK hired a search firm, basically ensuring that no one will know anything until the guy's in Lexington having a press conference.

And in the midst of it all, not a single person in the UK Athletic Department will say a word. Not surprising, since UK (both the school and the ath. dept.) is tighter-lipped than most. Nothing leaks here. Nothing.

If any of the rumors that are floating around are true, I think Donovan will take it. If not, Barnhart likely has a big Plan B in place.

According to Parker Search Firm, it should all be over by April 5. Which is perfect. Spring football is here, Keeneland opens Friday, and UK should have a new coach. Will make Lexington a very interesting place this week.

11. chester

chester Member

Let the record show this may be the first time ever that spring football at Kentucky was reason for optimism.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Dammit.

I have got to get home during one of those three-week windows one of these times.

Lord, my love for Keeneland knows no bounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.