1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN fanning the Billy D to UK flames

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

To hear Rosenberg tell it, Beilein's the guy.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

BYH in the running for a job that will not be open.

3. Beilein has 2.5 million dollar buyout at WVU.
    He had a MAJOR row with Ed Pastiloong to get it lowered late last week. Michigan wants him, but he made hold off to see what Donovan is going to do.

Michigan won't pay a hefty annual salary and a big buyout number. The buyout, whcih I beelive was $3 million was the only thing that kept Beilein from going to NC State last year.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wonder how he'd like going to Trenton [/ducking]

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

He's not good enough for Trenton

7. I hate to agree with Mizzou, but Schlabach is very very good.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If Billy Munster leaves, you talk about a massive exit with players and the coaches.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The deal ESPN announced was seven years, 2.8 - 3.5 mill. Which is nice, but Florida can match that. If Donovan leaves (and I still don't think he will), it won't be for the money.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm not going to say Donovan won't come to Kentucky, but I'll be shocked if he does.

He can be Florida's Rupp, if he so chooses.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just a question, and I don't mean it sarcastically...if Mark was such a good reporter, why didn't he get the "source" on the record? It's not national security or anything. And if the source can't manage that, why is it even worth writing?

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just to bolster my point, here are the quotes in the story on the record:

"When asked whether he has authorized anyone to negotiate with Kentucky on his behalf, Donovan said Friday, "Absolutely not. I have told our athletic director that I am focused on UCLA. What a great opportunity ... and there shouldn't be any distraction with any of this stuff."

and

"One of the things we have talked about is distractions and how they're going to come and a lot of times you can't control how they do come," Donovan said in an interview with ESPN.com's Andy Katz. "For me right now, it has been all about UCLA and all about preparation and all about getting ready to play this game. I'm just so happy we've gotten to this point."

"There's always going to be speculation and people want to talk, and I can't control that. What I can control is how I choose to focus my time and how my team chooses to focus its time. I think right now our team has great respect for UCLA and our focus is getting ready to play them.

and

"I love Florida," Donovan said. "My family is very happy here. I hope I can stay here as long as they'd like to have me. I don't know what else to say. I'm just focused on UCLA and people are focused on other things."

and

Kentucky athletics department spokesman Scott Stricklin declined comment when reached Friday.

"I'm not going to comment on the process until we have completed our search and found the right person to lead Kentucky basketball," Stricklin said.

so...

We have people who won't name themselves vs. people on the record who deny or decline everything. But we're supposed to believe the anonymous people because journalists have, uh, stored up so much public trust over the recent years.

Get it on the record. Period. Otherwise, it's filler. This is not national security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.