1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN exec John Walsh on B.S. Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bostonbred, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

quite a scathing take on the newspaper industry.

opinions?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2864045

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Do you know how slow my life has to be, or how completely bored, or more likely how captive without other entertaining or distracting options I would have to be to listen to a B.S. Report?

Reading might be dead and audio/video might be all the rage going forward, but I'm 100 times more likely to open up a Simmons column to read -- which I then can skim or dip into while doing something else or whatever -- than I am to sit and pipe his chats and interviews and voice into my room. If I could get it in my car, fine, but I'm not iPod-dock equipped.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why would I want to know what a guy who couldn't make it in newspapers thinks about the newspaper industry?

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I was talking more about Walsh's opinion on the matter. We all know that Simmons will bitch and moan about newspapers every chance he gets.

It's a pretty decent listen, with Simmons listing some of his complaints about ESPN and Walsh trying to defend the company.

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

[quote ]
    Face Time With The Boss
    Bill Simmons shares five gripes about ESPN with his boss, John A. Walsh.
    [/quote]
    Maybe Simmons is angling to become ESPN's new ombudsman. :)

I'm guessing that'd make Le Anne Schrieber throw up in her mouth.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Maybe Simmons is angling to become ESPN's new ombudsman. :)

I'm guessing that'd make Le Anne Schrieber throw up in her mouth.

[/quote]
    He actually jokes about that at the end of the podcast when Walsh brings up how critically acclaimed she is.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Oh, yeah, right, I"m going to listen or read what some jerk in some other medium has to say about the state of newspapers. I did that with Time magazine last week with its own form of B.S. and it was a total load of crap.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How many reasons did Walsh list for the problems causing newspapers' demise without actually coming within home-run distance of being right? I lost track.

9. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Just a question, and I know I'm probably gonna grilled for this: Why does everyone on here seem to hate Bill Simmons so much?

Look, the guy was like a lot of us: He spent his early-career years after college driving all over the place covering high school sports and started to feel he would never move up the chain because of politics and because the guys covering the major beats in front of him would never retire because they couldn't afford to. So he quit the newspaper business, started his own Web site writing about whatever the hell he wanted whenever he wanted, developed a nice cult following and was eventually hired by ESPN. He's gone on to become very successful, but everyone here resents him because he's not a REAL sports reporter.

So what? He's never claimed to be. He's a fan, and he writes like a fan. Sometimes his columns are long and rambling and filled with too much pop culture and too much whining about Boston teams, but oftentimes I find his stuff funny and thought-provoking. He's a good writer with a very humorous side. He's not a reporter, and he never claimed to be. But he always raises the question, How come you can only write about sports and be considered knowledgeable about them if you're "in the locker room?" Don't fans know a lot about sports, too? Aren't fans' opinions valuable? Hell, I know sports reporters that pretty much hate their jobs and are so cynical that they just mail it in. I wouldn't exactly regard their "inside information" as too enlightening considering they could give two shits about what they write. I'd rather have a conversation with a dedicated fan who cares and follows the team every chance he gets any day.

That's not to say all sports reporters are like that, of course. And, I agree, I wouldn't be too inclined to take Simmons' take on newspapers as gospel considering he doesn't work in them. But that doesn't mean he doesn't know about them. I'm sure he knows plenty of people in the industry.

At any rate, Simmons is what he is. He's a fan with a sports column. And sue me if I find it entertaining. It doesn't mean he's a bad guy or a disservice to the industry.

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I know, I know. I understand that most people don't see eye-to-eye with me when it comes to Simmons.

I guess I have a different opinion of him, and that's fine if most people disagree. Believe me, there are times when I read about two paragraphs into his column and decide I don't want to read it anymore. He is kind of hit-or-miss. But many times I find him funny and entertaining.

I guess I regard him as a sportswriter, not a sports reporter, if that makes sense.

11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I don't know, I thought his take on newspapers being unwilling to change their methods until they were close to death was pretty spot-on and major papers not hiring the right people to head-up Internet operations and guide the industry into a changing medium was also accurate.

I know these were the two massive problems the paper I worked at had. They wanted to do things the way they've always done them until it was apparent that wouldn't work anymore, and they hired a 60-something guy who had no defined role in the company because he was basically useless anywhere else to head-up Internet operations. Nevermind the fact that the guy probably didn't hear of the Internet until 5 years ago.

Also, I like how Simmons mentioned that newspapers could've beat the Internet with better writing and reporting instead of just delving down into the mindless blogs and snippets of information that the Internet had developed into. I totally agree.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, and your synopsis of his "early career" is a bit off, IIRC. He quit newspapers because he 1) thought he was too good for phoners and prep roundups and agate; and 2) he wanted to be a columnist and they "wouldn't let him." Also, IIRC, he couldn't hit a deadline or write to a hole to save his life. You might notice the dude's still not, uhh, very concise.

Now, he spends a portion of every interview bitterly ripping his old employers even though he's quite successful at the niche he's created for himself. It smacks of insecurity, and to tell the truth, it's a little off-putting for me as a reader -- and, especially, as someone who has worked for a number of years in newspapers. His writing is just not that entertaining to me, and it's mostly because of his attitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted