1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Desk Calendar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jul 5, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I know everyone else is being sarcastic, but I believe the real answer to July 2 is Fred Lynn. Just to throw it out there.

2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Despite what Colin Cowherd might have you believe, I'm pretty sure the answer to July 5 is the Pittsburgh Steelers since XL was played in 2006 and the Colts' XLI was in '07.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

BudCrew08, I think you are correct with Lynn.
    Pray tell, who did he hit the granny off of?

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I actually did not know the answer, so I looked it up on baseballreference.com. The pitcher was Atlee Hammaker, who I believe pitched for the Braves. (Who Hammaker pitched for I guessed, I didn't look that part up.)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/Q2MT

And according to baseballreference.com, the ESPN calendar is WRONG. Lynn was a California Angel in 1983 when he did it.

I thought he was, but everyone knows Lynn as a Red Sox when he won ROY in 1975. Lynn is also famously known as a player who was granted free agency because the owner of the Sox sent out his contract two days too late.

5. Hammaker was a Giant, I believe.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Maybe he wasn't paying serious attention.

Of course, Lawrie was the last freakin' Euro to win a major, so that's why it's a touchy subject for me. We can win the Ryder Cup all we want, but can't get anyone to even win The Open.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

July 1 -- Baseball
    July 2 -- Fred Lynn (good job budcrew...I didn't know that one)
    July 3 -- 3
    July 4 -- Paul Lawrie (good job GB)
    July 5 -- Pittsburgh

July 6 -- What Hall of Fame jockey's autobiography is titled "Against the Odds: Riding for My Life"?

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Answer: Jerry Bailey. Saratoga's winningest jockey.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's right bud.

Draft saved Draft deleted