1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Deportes update on Sportscenter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by danhawks, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree. If it's important enough to make SportsCenter, why does anything have to be under the "Deportes" tag. It's pandering and it also makes no sense when you have an anchor overemphasizing the spanish accent while talking about a soccer game that happened between England and Germany.

I'm all for getting soccer more coverage on SportsCenter, but why do they have to do it this way?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - it makes no sense. Just show the soccer results as part of Sports Center.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The chick this morning on the ghetto-ized portion of Sportscenter this morning (ie ESPN Deportes) pronounced the futbol team AC Milan as "AC Mill-en".

Is that the correct international pronounciation? I will bow to the more worldly of my sj bretheren.

4. Boom_70

I thought his first name was Matt Millen

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I believe that is pronounced Mee-lan (like Milano, only without the "o"), not like Matt Millen. If you want to get all George Vecsey, you can call them the rossoneri.

6. Can I keep my own beard?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So you transfer the international soccer to ESPN Deportes, who screws up the names as easily as one of the gringo dunderheads. Another smooth move, ESPN.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Only if you promise to write yet another column about watching a big international soccer match with a bunch of restaurant workers in some ethnic neighborhood in Queens.

9. Boom_70

What ESPN needs to do is use Colleen Dominguez and Sophie Simone Cortina as Desportes anchors.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We tried to do that during the last World Cup. When I asked if he had anything special planned for the games, the restuarant manager looked at me like I was from the INS. Or maybe just a totally racist bastard.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's like the 2-minute warning in an NFL game. The perfect time to hit the bathroom, take some clothes out of the dryer, or to go grab another beer.

Draft saved Draft deleted