1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Deportes update on Sportscenter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by danhawks, Nov 5, 2007.

1. danhawks

danhawks Member

Anybody curious as to why they have the ESPN Deportes Update read in English during Sportscenter? There are plenty of people who don't get the Deportes channel that speak Spanish who would be interested in hearing the recap in Spanish (like me) and those who don't normally watch Sportscenter that are bilingual might actually start watching it because they enjoy the English part.

And, it's weird to just have an announcer voice the highlights in English with a Spanish accent. Why not let Linda Cohn do the highlights and call it Global Sports Report if you're going to do it that way?

Okay, off the soapbox.

2. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

I think they probably do it as a way to appease the soccer fans out there, and to drive traffic to Deportes. 90% of the time, the Deportes report is Euro or Latin soccer, and it's probably just easier to have anchors who cover that sport on a more regular basis do the highlights. I don't think it's smart to subject the American viewing public to Stu Scott breaking down Real Madrid/Ajax...Holla!

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

By the looks of it, at least one of their female Deportes anchors used to work at Univision. Ay carumba! Muy caliente!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What is Spanish for "holla!"? Or "boo-yah", for that matter?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The update serves no purpose in the middle of Sports Center other than to promote soccer. With all of Central America and South America to pull from you would think that ESPN would display some better talent for the eyes.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Actually, it doesn't just promote soccer, it caters to what is likely a significantly underrepresented portion of their audience. I know you hate soccer and all, but with latinos making up the largest minority group in the country, the ESPN Deportes update is an attempt to draw in that market. Seems like smart business to me. They spend a minute or two on soccer and hopefully they draw more viewers to the rest of their program.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them bring a little latina heat to update. :)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN Deportes is nothing short of horrendous...

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would like to see more reports on bull fighting.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Why is that?
    Champions League.
    NFL football.
    Mexican League soccer.
    MLB.
    NBA.
    How is this "horrendous"?

10. How in hell do you make that judgment?
    Based on a comparison to what, Univisa?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Completely agree. The whole thing is in Spanish, for Pete's sake! That's gotta be a mistake. Some sports TV columnist needs to get on that.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Hell, it's better than the other 59 minutes of SportsCenter. Just game highlights and stats. I'd rather see Deportes than another "Who's Now?".

Draft saved Draft deleted