1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN continues to F that Carmelo chicken

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 16, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The burnout of the shooting star Carmelo Anthony

There has never been an athlete whose end of career, on court downfall has been chronicled so intently. Especially for a guy who wasn't all that.

I feel like this story has been written 17 times

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As a Knicks fan, I say without reservation that he should not be a Hall of Famer. Most overrated player of his generation. Also a back-pedaler.

Tweener likes this.
  3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Since the Basketball Hall of Fame is all encompassing and not even the biggest detractor can take away from his remarkable season at Syracuse, he will be Hall of Famer without question.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

As a knicks fan, you are completely jaded and wrong here.

5. CD Boogie

Which part? I made a lot of claims in one sentence :D

I know he'll make Springfield -- which, btw, doesn't have quite the same ring as Cooperstown or Canton -- but he ruined Linsanity bc he was spiteful. The Knicks never came close with him and, yeah, that does admittedly make me jaded. But the only person whose similarity scores resemble his who is also in Springfield is Alex English, a one-trick pony whose one trick was better than Melo's.

Carmelo Anthony Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Capture.PNG

Those are Hall of Very Good guys, minus English. He shot a lot better from the field for his career than Melo.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

i don't think he was ever as good as Alex English, and only gets more pub because he played in New York.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Carmelo will get in because of that NCAA championship. The similarity scores aren't great, but also note that his Hall of Fame probability on that same website is 98.2 percent. Even when it comes to his similarity scores, the fact that it's a bunch of players with completely different games and careers kind of highlights how frankly weird Carmelo's career has been. Like Rasheed is the #1 comparable for him - power forward type that likes to shoot 3s - even though most people would say that they have completely opposite on-court demeanors.

8. CD Boogie

I enjoyed the hoops Hall of Fame when I went in 1986, following a grammar school basketball tournament that took place in Springfield. But regardless of how easy it is for me to visit again -- it's only 2 hours away and I must have driven by it 50 times on my way back and forth to Vermont to go skiing -- I have never once felt compelled to return. It's a disaster in concept and execution.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And because he could be an awesome jackass.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He was also a central figure on three Olympic gold medal teams. The hall cares about international competition.

Linsanity was spoiled by Jeremy Lin not actually being very good. It was a fun few weeks, though.

sgreenwell and Tweener like this.
  11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Have always thought that was the biggest knock against him.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We can blame the bottomless news hole of the Internet for the existence of that nonsense of a piece.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted