1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com's new look

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jan 5, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Looks like ESPN.com rolled out a redesign this morning -- they'd sent out e-mails to media members sneak-previewing it a week or two ago.

Just curious what everyone thought. Nothing you haven't seen at other sites, with the rotating top stories, like AOL and SI.com have done for a while ...

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Coincidence that a post about ESPN would be a board contributor's No. 666?

I think not.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Very good. Bigger and better drives the web, so ESPN is right on top of things as usual.

I like the easy access to the four top stories and videos without getting read of the headlines feature on the right. If you will notice, it also allows for two major banner ads and a box ad (under the headlines) which is probably making them money. While these ads are prominently displayed, they don't take away from the main site features which is pretty solid. I have to say, I am impressed so far. However, I'm not too fond of the page 2 setup. A little too different for me. It may take a few more days for myself to become adjusted.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Based on this being the third thread about ESPN.com's new look and the other two received hardly any response, seems to me that no one gives a fuck. Or maybe notices.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Does it still gives you that annoying Orbitz pop-up?

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm just thrilled ESPN got rid of the "You're watching the beginning of this video even if you don't want to" feature.

The rest of the site -- I'm not a big Page 2 reader -- is clean and easy to navigate. I like it.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I liked the mini-golf one.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

No idea. [/firefoxuser]

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I've been a Firefox user for years. Today, my pop-up blocker got it for like the first time ever.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

NHL was shuffled back in the menu bar. It is behind soccer now.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I played that a lot. Not gonna lie.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Pop-over ad at the very beginning is epic fail. Hopefully that's just a "here's our new look" thing that will go away.

Draft saved Draft deleted