1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com's Mike Fish on Pat Tillman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Jul 19, 2006.

1. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=tillmanpart1

Thoughts???

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Fascinating. I can't wait to read the one tomorrow about whether or not he deserved a Silver Star. Interesting that Kwhatever (I can't spell it. sorry) blames the Tillmans lack of Christianity for the investigation.

3. There's a lot behind the scenes that still reeks of coverup ...

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd agree, and I think the fact they're starting to blame the family for the investigation just shores that belief up.

5. I hate to be a cynic -- OK, i love to be a cynic -- but if you can't trust the army or the marines anymore, you can't trust the government. and if you can't trust the government, you can't trust management anymore (management follows the government lead). and if you can't trust management, you can't trust corporate newspapers anymore.

like woodward and bernstein said on watergate, follow the money. it's always about the money these days.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Shocking that the military would try to use the story of their most famous soldier to advance their cause.
    In other news, the sun rises tomorrow in the East.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The story today about how Tillman got the Silver Star just burns me up. For a guy who gave up so much to serve all of us and never wanted one iota of publicity to end up getting the royal pile-on treatment in death from a government that needed a pin-up hero to justify its war absolutely fucking sucks.

(the story is beautifully reported, it should be said)

8. I thought the exact same thing, SC. I can understand how a family would want the complete truth as to what actually happened to their son. But in the wreaks of cover-up, blaming the need for multiple investigations on the family's lack of Christian beliefs just illuminates a cover-up.

One thing that intrigues me about this whole thing is that the Army is doing all sorts of interviews and reconstructions of what happened, but Fish seems to have nailed down what happened pretty vividly and clearly. Does this again help push along the idea of a cover-up that an investigative reporter — who I would love to know how much time he spent working on this series — he can seemingly come up with the answers, but our military cannot?

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

Here's the thing, though: Not once did I read the government madeup stories of Jessica Lynch or Pat Tillman and say, "Damn, I really think we should be in this war now." Did people actually fall for that stuff?

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I would have liked bigger photos.

11. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

My only thought is I don't particularly trust Mike Fish's work after seeing him in action during the Adrian McPherson scandal at Florida State. Years earlier, I was impressed by his work at the AJC. But his coverage of the McPherson case was the kind of stuff you'd see in the National Enquirer. He frequently twisted facts ... either in pursuit of an agenda or simply to be sensational. Either way, it was nonsense. And now I have a hard time believing anything he writes.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bush won again. So I'd say enough idiots fell for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted