1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com's Greatest Highlight B.S.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My favorite part is Chris Berman doing the play by play of all of them, thus ruining great moments in sports history.

"Kirk Gibson! Backbackback GOOOONE! HOME RUN!!!"

Spare me.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm so glad i didn't have to hear that.

3. Ditto. Life is so much more bearable since I stopped watching SportsCenter.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

It's really not so bad with the mute button on.

5. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

This article was written in 2003, and it examines Ruth's homer at Wrigley.
    It's an interesting read, but it was inconclusive as to whether Ruth called the shot or not.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=146013

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This one is bad, but it's nothing compared to Who's Now...

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Exactly!
    I don't give a darn about the concept. It is a step up from Who's Now, that's for sure. I understand why they do this, cross-platform synergy.
    But to put Berman in there to wreck those play calls. Let's see: you've got Jack Buck, Vin Scully -- or Boomer. Yeah, I know whose call I want to hear.
    "I don't believe ... what I just heard!!!!"

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Who's Now was the worst. But Steve Phillips' fake press conference is right up there too.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

They should combine this with their other successful poll and come up with Greatest NOW! Highlights.

It would be spectacular.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The whole thing seems to be just another device to keep Berman in the spotlight during the lull between football and baseball. You know damn well he's got time on his hands while he sulks about not being able to head up their Masters coverage.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I watch Sports Center maybe once a week, and always turn it off when dickbags like Berman are on. While I don't bitch about SC as much, I find life more tolerable without listening to "BOO-YAH!" and Berman's slurring, drooling, incomprehensible blabber.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Or when he did his idiot smashing sound repeatedly during the Cal-Stanford play.

Draft saved Draft deleted