1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com writer toasted for block-headed mistakes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jun 25, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Here.
    http://construda.blogspot.com/2008/06/commenters-burn-espncom-writer.html
    Enjoy. And buy stock in Disney.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Not the, um, strongest of starts at the WWL for Seifert, one of the new NFL bloggers.

Another of those "errors you want to make in the minor leagues" that keep showing up on the ESPN.com site. Lots of writers who check their stuff meticulously, working with deskers who still find ways to save them from themselves, and neither ever get a look-see from the folks based in Bristol.

And yet, somehow, those folks are never, ever wrong in their hirings or decision-making.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Ouch.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Don't know how much this Siefert guy has or is expected to crank out, but the more copy you producer and the faster it gets done, the more chances are mistakes will be made. I can't imagine the guy would make that mistake unless he was ripping through it at warp speed or planned on checking it later, got busy and forget.
    And, yes, a good copy editor who knows the NFL would have caught those errors.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd consider a change of verb for the thread title since "toast" usually means to honor or compliment.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Seifert is a great guy and one of the better NFL writers around.

None of that was shown in that article.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Indian copy editors

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pleased be to editing you!!

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Keep slaving away in Akron, Ace. You still rule.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

And neither the blogger nor his first commenter knows what "misgivings" means.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Robin Givens, right?

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Seifert did a fine job covering the Vikings, and I'm sure he'll do a good job for ESPN. Yeah, he made a mistake here. (One real mistake. I don't count saying a guy was cut when he was "not re-signed" as much of a mistake.)
    The mistake was confusing a draft pick from Central Florida with another guy from Tulane. Whoppeee.
    It bothers me that this is the kind of shit that clearly turns people on around here.
    "Goolleee, where I work, I would never confuse the leading rusher for Pumpkinsquasher High with the guy from Lower Bupkis High, so clearly, ESPN.com shoulda hired ME insteada this here fella."

The "misgivings" thing is what's really funny. Guy wants to flag ESPN's mistake, and English does not appear to be his first language. Kudos to Ben Hecht, by the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted