1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com will reconfigure Division I football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 3, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I enjoyed seeing Va Tech check in at 13. Good 'nuff for me.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't remind me. We would have been there in 1998 if we had been named 'Oklahoma' or 'Texas.' We lose in double-overtime and fall out of the national championship race. OU gets slaughtered in the championship game and they still get the nod. Go figure.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A brilliant idea. Practice hasn't started at most schools and fans of every team are clicking like crazy on that story and talking about the picks on their message boards.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm an Indiana fan, and even I know that shit program ought to get scuttled in favor of something like Team Archery.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Pat Forde's picks were best by far.
    The others were sort of embarrassing.

6. dkbxt5

dkbxt5 New Member

I enjoyed the experiment and followed it, for the most part, live because I had nothing better to do. I liked the interaction between the ESPN guys giving each other crap about their picks. Supposedly they will carry this on for a while:

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Many years ago, I remember they were talking about having one super conference, 12 schools.
    Back then, it was gonna be something like:
    USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Miami, Texas, LSU, Alabama.

I wrote a column about it. Basically, when you take high-powered programs that usually go 10-1 or 9-2 every year, and a few of them start going 2-9 or 3-8, the next step is for them to start bending the rules, bring in questionable recruits, cheating to catch up. And there might be more injuries.
    Interesting concept, but it never got off the ground. Don't remember, but the bowl people probably killed the idea.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Are Kelly and Patterson committed to their schools or simply not jumping at the first offer that comes their way?

Draft saved Draft deleted