1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The text in the top scorebar on my browser is too big and forces me to scroll within the box it's in.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Just played around with the "Favorites" on the left side of the screen. Having scores appear there and on the top seems redundant. Otherwise seems cool. Really minor but wished that "tamu" got me Texas A&M as a favorite. I don't have time to type all that shit out!

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Underwhelming.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Olberman also has a video on how it's both the 20th anniversary of the web page launch, and the 21st anniversary of an ESPN page on Prodigy.

The two things I recall about the early web pages were a couple of clever commercials. One was about an elf at the North Pole that was tired of making toys, so he walked out, and got run over by a sleigh. The other was on Cam Neely talking about how the site was launched after he retired, he was stuck gardening and asked if the anyone wanted to kick his dog.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I. Hate. Endless. Scrolling.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The Cam Neely commercial was for ESPN News. Always liked that commercial for some reason.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, ESPN fantasy sports have hit rock bottom. No Best Ball Majors golf game this year.

Plus, they are killing off their Uber scoring (which was like a lifetime ranking). That was, as ridiculous as it sounds, a primary reason why people paid for the prize eligible fantasy leagues in the four major sports.

Sounds like the daily fantasy games like Draft Kings is taking over the world.

Anyway, this is good for me. Gives me another reason to not pay attention to ESPN. And to get a life.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This took two years? The redesign is awful. It's an eyesore and not user friendly. Terrible.

10. What bothers me as someone who works on the agate page I always have the site up so I can follow scores of the four major sports as the old site updated real time. The new site doesn't do that, unless I haven't found the auto refresh button.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And sometimes they have very good reason. At my last job there was a redesign that went to the photo-heavy format and fan feedback wasn't good. The old site was similar to the old ESPN.com in that there was a box of 10 headlines at the top-right side. Everything you wanted was always right there, until -- poof -- it wasn't.

I see that the new ESPN.com still has the headlines, albeit seven. On a desktop that's not enough for me. Yes, I know how to get what I want but I'm like most in that I don't want to click five more times.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My biggest complain so far has been that in their infinite scrolling, the story below isn't related to the story I'm actually reading. If I'm reading an NFL story, give me another NFL story - not whatever your top story is. If I cared about your top story, I'd have clicked on it already.

Draft saved Draft deleted