1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.COM On the Spread O

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just stumbled upon a very in depth analysis of the Spread O in ESPN.Com college football section.
    If you want to learn about Spread from every aspect this is the place:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I thought this was about the Erin Andrews video...

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Ding Ding Ding!!!!! we have a winner for post of the day.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought it was a reference to something Andrew Dice Clay might say....."on the spread, OHHHH!"

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the link. Just read through a little quickly. Looks good.

The spread is definitely here to stay. What is interesting is that it has gone from a run and shoot type thing, in which you got the tight end out of there, to a basic offense that can be used in so many different ways. What Mike Leach is doing at Texas Tech couldn't be more different than what Rich Rodriguez was doing at West Virginia (and would like to do at Michigan), yet they are both running the spread offense. It's interesting, because it can be a run-based or a pass-oriented offense.

I had a lot of conversations about this last year, when some of those Big 12 teams were running up scores against some mediocre defenses using variations of the spread. We felt that the good SEC defenses could neutralize most high-powered spread team. I still feel that way, Florida notwithstanding (and Florida won their National Championship game, less on the strength of their spread than by the fact that they neutralized Oklahoma's spread). Alabama, a defensive team, may have lost in the SEC championship game, but Florida didn't lay one of those 56-10 scores on them, and in the game that Ole Miss won against Florida, it was their defense, which put a lot of pressure on Tebow, that kept them in the game and gave them a chance for the fluke win. It showed again, when Ole Miss took their bowl game against Texas Tech, whose spread offense was more of a one-trick, and less adaptable than what Urban Meyer could do. And even though Texas beat Ohio State, it wasn't on offense. That game turned into smash mouth football.

I like the spread, but I'll put a superior defense against most spread teams and take my chances with it. I think it's an offense designed to hide flaws and it is beatable if you have good athletes on defense.

6. Boom_70

This series does a good job of clearing up the misconception that spread is just a passing offense. To some coaches its a passing O to others it can be a dynamic running O.

Defenses have not yet caught up.

What really makes spread more complex is when teams go no huddle. Defenses have no time to adapt to formation changes.

I think Florida is on right track in defending probably because they run the O.

They try and pressure QB with 4 or 5 guys and leave 6 or 7 in coverage. The players they put on field are all athletes that can play DE/ LB / CB.

This allows them to adapt based on formation recognition and not have to change personal.

It's hard to get pressure on QB because passes are so fast - a lot of hitches.

This may be the year but I've not yet seen one perfect D against Spread.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The spread makes the defense cover the entire width of the field plus 20 to 30 yards (at least) down field. Add in the no huddle that prevents substitutions and it's a bitch.

When OU was really rolling last year, they had a big, strong-armed QB in Bradford, a great TE and good WRs. When DeMarco Murray was healthy, they had an explosive RB who could take a zone read hand off one play, then line up at WR on the next play giving OU 5 receivers. Invariably TE Jermaine Greshman or Murray would be covered by a LB and a big play would result.

8. Boom_70

OU screwed themselves vs FLA - they took to long to snap the ball and it gave Florida D plenty of time to adjust . OU lost momentum.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Agreed. And they didn't have Murray available, which limited their ability to have different formations without changing personnel. But, yeah, the OU game plan in in the OB sucked tailpipes.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

SI dealt with it in much more detail in this story about the single wing/Wildcat last December, even referencing the same Oregon high school coach ...

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1149161/index.htm

11. Boom_70

You must not have gone through all links then because ESPN story is far more complete.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You're right. This is what I was thinking of ...

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1143661/index.htm

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/toc/10995/index.htm

Got my SI articles mixed up. That single-wing story was great, though ...

Draft saved Draft deleted