1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com on how the economy affects sports franchises and fans . . . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 3, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

And free money made by mlb.com, nba.com and nfl.com.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A very, very, very fine point. But I like Gare just the same.

Just the same in the "he's the man" way, not in the "I like him the same way I like Elliotte" way. Because, well, there's only room for one Canadian in this heart of mine. :D

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

A very well-written piece indeed.

I expect attendance numbers to take a hit across the board in sports for a while due to the economic conditions. Most leagues have their TV contracts built several years in the future, so ideally times are much better when the contracts come up for renewal.

Like the article said, however, if times are still tough in 2012 or 2013 then all bets are off.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sports events are one of the last product the TV networks have left for which they have metrics-meaning they KNOW they can sell ads, and for how much, because they have a good idea of the audience numbers.
    A resourceful demagogue in New York politics could do worse than propose a 10 percent income tax surcharge to anyone who buys a season ticket for the Mets, Yanks, Giants or Jets, on the grounds those people have proven they won't miss the money.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Unadvertised handicap in writing this, assigned on a late Friday pm for delivery on the following Wednesday, would be well understood by Mr Friedman and several regular posters here ... try writing any business-in-sports story into the teeth of a Jewish holiday. A lot of folks at every level, from commissioners' offices to club pr level, out of the office and unavailable.

YD&OHS, etc

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

All the more reason to really like that Joyce guy.

And keep your distance from IJAG ... the pool of drool can make the ground around her really slippery. :D

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Friend,

Too bad you didn't have to talk to any players.

"Do you have any light reading?"

"Well, there's this leaflet on famous Jewish sports legends..."

8. lono

lono Active Member

The Jewish leadership of NASCAR being particularly unaccessible. Of course, qualifying for this week's race is on Yom Kippur ...

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What, Koufax wasn't available?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I suppose I should read this guy's story on some big strong guy in the latest ESPN the Magazine now.

Draft saved Draft deleted