1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com on how the economy affects sports franchises and fans . . . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Quality piece.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/columns/story?columnist=joyce_gare&id=3622898

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Someone needs to remind these experts that a family not being able to afford to go to a sporting event is not a recent development.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The cost of a decent regular-season seat to a stoopid baseball game (at Yankee Stadium) next season will be beyond endurance.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I once held season-tickets to local NBA team and partial season ticket to local MLB team.

My attendance at sporting events now is five days at local ATP/WTA tennis tournament. And nothing else.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Most sports teams aren't too concerned about fannies in the seats. They sell enough high-end seats to meet their costs. As long as those who want to go but can't watch on TV, which increases the ratings, that's good enough. And don't forget, keep buying those jerseys (alternate home, alternate road, old-school, etc.).

When NASCAR drops 20% of its races because of rising fuel costs and a couple NHL teams fold, then we'll know we're truly entering a crises. Some of the sacred cows have to go to wake up Joe Sixpack.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When the NASCAR truck series goes swirling down the crapper, that might wake a few of the good ol' boys up.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I thought the story rehashed a lot of what was already out there, and I expected more data to underpin an economics story.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I learned some stuff - I thought it was very well written.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Gare Joyce is the man.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Back in the day, ticket sales were the primary source of revenue for sports teams, now sponsorships, media sales and luxury box leasing guarantee a profitable season before game one. And some athletes make more money off the field than on. But I think it is safe to say there will be less competition for advertising spots on golf telecasts.
    I really enjoyed the piece ESPN did. I wish they did more like it.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Ms justagirl,

He's no Eliotte Friedman.

YD&OHS, etc

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget the TV contracts as well, depending on the league and team. NFL teams already make a profit just on the money they get from their TV deals.

What drives me nuts is when you start hearing people complain when a team doesn't fill all its seats and starts blaming the public (like ESPN does in referring to the Rays). I understand Tampa Bay tickets are pretty affordable. But there are plenty of teams where it is not. Yet, somehow, that's the fan's fault. He's not fulfilling his patriotic duty to attend games.

Draft saved Draft deleted