1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com Local Sites

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator_Hawks, May 18, 2011.

1. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

These things were popping up all over the map: Chicago, LA, NYC, Dallas, Boston...

Are there plans to expand into more markets?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You have a small map.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are quite a few "unoffical" ones that are struggling a lot.

Those five seem to be doing very well.

4. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

I'm not aware of any official ESPN.com local sites other than Chicago, Boston, LA, NY and Dallas (I'm not talking about local espn radio web sites).

I'm asking if anyone knows about plans to expand to other markets with the big espn.com local type of sites.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nope. No expansion from the current five are in the works. The last one to launch was New York more than a year ago.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They're gonna call me if they expand to Cleveland, though.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

No they're not.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah because they know he's just going to leave in 2 months and go to the Plain-Dealer.

9. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Just thinking aloud here...Philly would be the next logical step, followed by DC.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Philly would be a very, very difficult nut to crack. Comcast runs Philadelphia. In addition, Philly.com has been a success in terms of traffic (even if it has many, many flaws), and a unified front between the Daily News and Inquirer would be tough to compete against.

With all that said, Philadelphia makes a lot of sense as a sports-crazy town that doesn't ever stop caring.

Washington would've been the perfect market to move into about three months ago because The Washington Times hadn't rebooted, and the Post (as well as the lesser-than-Philly Comcast presence) would have been the only real competition. In addition, at least a couple of the writers from the Times staff, including a few not back on the new staff, have followings that would have been a natural fit. It's still a very viable market to crash, and I would think it would be wise to make it ESPN Beltway, not ESPN DC, because Baltimore has a rich fanbase and the Sun has taken so many hits in the sports department that it wouldn't be difficult to compete with them even if you limited the allocated resources.

I could see San Francisco, Phoenix, St. Louis, Denver and Minnesota as other viable markets to crash in the early going.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I keep hearing somewhere in Florida (likely Miami) is next.

12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

That's what I thought would be next, what with LeBron's talents being there.

Draft saved Draft deleted