1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com "hyper local" expanding to Dallas, LA, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 20, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

You can't fake coverage. You either have the writers to cover the beats or you don't.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

SockPuppet is a winner!!! If ESPN invests in the personnel needed for these sites, they can be winners. Otherwise, no. My guess is, they'll hire some big names, columnists, mostly, learn the facts of life about locally-based Internet advertising, and quietly pull the plug on this experiment sometime early in 2011.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

2011, which might be about the time that plugs get pulled on papers in LA and Dallas ... for the same reason, trying to fake coverage.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

It's not perfect, but at least ESPN is still doing good journalism and spending money on it. I'd at least give them a chance on the regional sites.

5. share24

share24 Member

I think we said the same thing about that little cable tv station that started airing log rolling and Australian Rules football about 30 years ago. I wonder what ever happened to that station.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect them to do very well in NYC. Legit scoops don't happen every day because there are multiple skilled beat writers covering every team, and it's unrealistic to expect clear dominance, or even reader perception of clear dominance, by any outlet on any beat. ESPN obviously can't duck NYC; it has to go in. But management should have different expectations there than it would in a one-newspaper market. Spending a lot of money there is unlikely to yield great results. I would guess the strategy would be simply establish a respectable presence there and spend heavily where there's a chance to win.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If they invest in these sites, they can be successful in attracting an audience. Since ESPN.com is not the company's main source of profit (to put it mildly), they could run the sites as prestigious, must-read sources of information-if they want to. It all boils down to how much money they're willing to spend before the possibility of profit kicks in, and it might not kick in.
    I will say this. ESPN has hired a great many very talented journalists. So they are willing to produce quality if it suits their needs.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

journo types hate the leader for good reason.

but the public trusts espn because it has defined sports coverage in this country for the past 15-20 years.

i can't imagine any scenario in which these local sites fail.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Frank, good point about NYC and beats.

However, with the WWL's national sources in the major sports, could those help whoever is hired to cover the Big Apple? Sort of the momma bird feeding the baby birds before they can fly.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed on the investments. If they put some money into it, hire some strong people and not just put up news releases and AP copy, yup, it can succeed. And to do that, to build the sites, you cover the pro and college teams with strong beat writing, columnists and bloggers, and you break news the right way. Build that credibility, and grow it into other sports in that area. New York will be tough. Other places like L.A. -- where there is one beat writers total for the Dodgers now -- and other one-newspaper towns (Denver, Seattle, etc.), definitely, it can succeed.

11. AD

AD Active Member

weirdly, this thing reminds me, of all things...of The National. That daily sports paper died because of distribution problems -- as well as a host of others -- but that won't be an issue here. no print to worry about, no delivery trucks, no local agreements with papers. it's got all the chances of being virtual National; all they have to do is ax the mag, throw all the long pieces on the web in the way they do so well, and hire locals to fill the gaps that newsprint has ceded and compete with them on the rest. maybe frank deford had the right idea -- but the technology didn't exist yet.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Anybody have any insight as to what the organizational structure is like? Is there a Chicago-based editor/manager calling the shots. Will ESPN have somebody in Bristol that is in charge of all the local sites?

What about the "ESPN affilliated" college sites that are popping up? Who is in charge of those and how are deciding what colleges to target?

Draft saved Draft deleted