1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com Front redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GB-Hack, Jul 26, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I like it. Much clearer, and the addition of the scoreboard on the top is a nice touch.

They've also apparently done away with with adspace in the headlines box.

Any thoughts?

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Definitely an improvement -- sort of the exact opposite of CNN.com's redesign, which is a meandering, formless waste.

3. Sandman

Sandman Member

Losing the ad in the headlines box is a good move ... those clunky, two-line heds never looked right.

I wish they would have changed their main picture size. That horizontal space is terrible for live events, when the vast majority of shots on the wire are vertical. Too many times I've visited ESPN.com and been distracted by an awkwardly cropped photo in that main spot. I'm not a photographer, but I'm sure the ones whose images are used cringe to see their work messed with like that.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh good. It'd been at least a week since the last redesign.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

It's better, but they still have that damn video that starts to play without your consent. Scares the bejeesus out of me at least 1 in 3 times.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's why the volume is always down on my computer unless I want to listen to something.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Amen. Sweet Jesus, I just assume they redesign every week since I don't check it that often. But every time I go, it looks different.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I apparently check it so little it wasn't even in my history.
    I like the redesign, but Yahoo! Sports is still better.
    No videos randomly starting. Better columns and better reporting.
    Plus, there is apparently no Yankees bias on Yahoo!

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

If we're talking content I read the E-ticket more than any other online exclusive (though I know some of that stuff runs in The Magazine). That said, one sports Web site looks like another to me. I could do without the automatic video start up as well.

10. sportsed

sportsed Member

Which E-ticket story ever appeared in ESPN's magazine?

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I thought I read that the "Sports Paradise" story ran in The Mag. I don't read The Mag so I'll readily admit if I was mistaken.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

As a Firefox user with adblocker, I never saw those ads anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted