1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Classic Right Now: Fidrych ABC Game vs Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

So many people posted about it in the RIP thread. Wanted to make sure no one missed it if they wanted to see it.

Just got back from hotel gym (where I saw Rusty Staub's two-run HR).

Billy Martin was a riot in intros: "Born in Berkeley, California -- died in New York."

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

MLB Network showed it again this afternoon. What a wonderful performance. Just to watch the ninth inning of that game is to see why Fidrych became so beloved.

Crazy that MLBN had Fidrych in the studio the first week of March. They showed his interview yesterday during all the obit coverage.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Much love Elliotte. Wish they would schedule another showing that the program guide could pick up. I'd love to DVR this.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

A few notes about this game:

Billy Martin went with eight left-handed hitters in the lineup; the lone righty was Willie Randolph. Off the top of my head, I think Fidrych only had one strikeout - Chambliss in the first. And were it not for the home run to Elrod Hendricks, this would have been another shutout.

I have not seen the replay - as I said on the other thread, I have the original broadcast with commercials - so I don't know how much they showed of the pre-game, if any. But if they didn't, Bob Eucker had a pretty funny monologue during the pre-game. During the post-game, Eucker spent most of his time interviewing fans in the crowd. It went on for a good half-hour.

I think Fidrych went to a three-ball count one or two times. It took less than two hours to play! A few of the Yankee batters also called timeout as he was going through his windup to knock him off his concentration, but it didn't seem to matter.

Perhaps someone who has been a longtime Yankees fan can answer this, but why was Ken Holtzman unhappy about his time in pinstripes?

I got a kick out of reading the comments on the other thread. Isn't it amazing how one person could have touched so many lives, when in the grand scheme of things he was in and out in a short sliver of time?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's just how he was. I was 7 that summer of 1976 and remember it vividly, my dad talking about it. I remember watching that game live. It was crazy. Like the Reggie Jackson three home runs in the World Series. Fernando-mania. My earliest memories of baseball.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

And it's Uecker. I think Eucker is a card game. But I'm too lazy to Google it.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That'd be Euchre.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

But I'm not too lazy to say, "Thanks, Zeke."

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Any time, boss.

Draft saved Draft deleted