1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Chicago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Pritchard, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Didn't see this posted anywhere even though the news is a couple days old. Maybe I just missed it.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/eric2_0/2009/02/espn-to-launch-new-site-devoted-to-chicago-sports.html

Two other things of note:

It doesn't look like they're looking to do much hiring at first:
    http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/eric2_0/2009/02/espn-chicago-expected-to-hire-cautiously.html

And for the Mariotti crowd:

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Chicago and elsewhere...

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/digits/2009/02/20/espn-plans-local-sports-sites/

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The Question is: Does it mean more jobs in any way, shape or form?

4. Pete, that is addressed in the second link. Not much specific information yet, though. I would guess with all the out-of-work Chicago sports writers, those freelancing gigs could be hard to come by.

From the link:
    And this:

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

This project could end up going nowhere or everywhere, at least to every market that has pro sports teams or even major colleges. I can't see ESPN going all the way to small college towns and preps coverage with this, which leaves an opening in the marketplace to do that kind of coverage if ESPN succeeds with this.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

ESPNChicago.com, ESPNNewYork.com and ESPNBoston.com have all been registered and right now take you to the local ESPN Radio affiliates. I tried a handful of other big cities, but didn't get anything.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

ESPNDallas.com. ESPNDenver.com and ESPNStLouis.com also exist. I wonder what other markets they might try.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

ESPNTahoe.com is not live yet.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

But you'll be able to cybernavigate there from here.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This makes perfect business sense if the printed newspaper dissolves. They will corner the market, and ESPN has the resources to make this move.

How many people would be needed to run ESPNPittsburgh?

I will assume that all HR, advertising and editing will be done at one central location that is not in Pittsburgh.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not sure about editing, but based on my experience, the others would be a reasonable assumption.

Draft saved Draft deleted