1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Cancels Barstool Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 23, 2017.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Wait shit, nobody told me I would have to someday run Deadspin if I posted here too much.

Big Circus and Hermes like this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You have to sit in Daulerio’s old office chair and everything. I’d ask your doctor for the antibiotics ahead of time.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Dave Portnoy, humanitarian.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That's rich. The attitude he is complaining about now was in the posts not just the comments. And Barry Petchesky didn't go on to write for Barstool.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Very amusing, Leitch clucking his tongue at the genre he trailblazed.
    Expectations with this guy can never be anything but low.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I like Will, but Deadspinners in general have an inability to see what they are. They see themselves through the prism of the best of what they do, not the worst, or even the mean. I suppose we all do that. But they so often talk about speaking hard truths, it seems particularly hypocritical when they can't say them about themselves.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I wouldn't characterize Deadspin as blazing the trail for Barstool. There were fundamental differences between the two. Barstool was local and built a business brand around young men from almost the start. While Deadspin wasn't always as woke as it thinks it is now, it never plumbed the depths Barstool traffics in.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It happened after Leitch's watch, and before it became a filling station for writers like Greg Howard, and well before Gawker's takedown, but Deadspin trafficked in plenty of garbage.
    Favre's dick pics, Big Ben's gray member, so much other rancid trash under Daulerio circa 2008-11 that it became its calling card.
    When you have people rooting for Hulk Hogan and Peter Thiel there's a good chance you're a bunch of assholes.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The outing of Tim Geithner's brother was the worst

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I’d argue the posting of the bathroom stall rape video was the worst, then laughing when the crying dad begged them to take it down, but in truth there is a lot to choose from.

Gator likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted