1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Cancels Barstool Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that was quick. What happened here? (EDIT: I should get YF to help me post tweets.)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Statement from ESPN President John Skipper about Barstool Van Talk: <a href="ESPN PR on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/ysgSKDvmjx</a></p>&mdash; ESPN PR (@ESPNPR) <a href="">October 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sam Ponder wins.

Fuck to the fuckity yes.

QYFW and YankeeFan like this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Did it ever air?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes. Last Tuesday, I think.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

"In its place, we will be airing our newest show - Screamin' A Smith Points at Celebrities and Screams at them From Across the Room - an exciting new direction for the convergence of sports and pop culture."

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How fast will Clay Travis get on a news show over this?

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And so ESPN brass once again proves they are equal bits stupid and pussies. The marriage was dumb to begin with, and now they stick their tails between their legs and shuffle off.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This ain't exactly a great time to be perceived as being a conduit for sexism. Not after Weinstein. Not after conservative hero Bill O'Reilly paid $32,000,000 to settle a harassment claim.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump makes mistake, and then doubles down: @CD Boogie would call him an idiot for doubling down, and not simply admitting his mistake.

ESPN makes mistake, admits it, and cuts its losses: @CD Boogie calls them chicken shits.

SnarkShark likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

One week. Reminds me of the genius website that hired me in 2011 to be a full-time blogger writing about men's issues and then figured out a month in that they didn't have money budgeted for the role anymore. I spent more time trying out for the gig than I actually did in the gig. I'm happy to report that men's site is a steaming pile of shit these days. Planning, thinking ahead: These things work, folks

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What did they expect? Nice job researching the content.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Having a major rift with its African American employees, ESPN was in no position to start one up with its women employees. I half wonder if someone in management asked Ponder to go public with her objections.

Draft saved Draft deleted