1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN bans NY Post for running Andrews photos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Jul 23, 2009.

1. It has nothing to do with the First Amendment.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Blue font?

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Aren't there other outlets -- Fox, CBS Early Show -- that have run a portion of the clip? Are their networks being denied ESPN clips of future sports highlights?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So will Erin Andrews press for charges against the operators of SportsJournalists.com then for discussing her image?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My reference to the First Amendment is this:

IF (yes, I'm aware I'm using IF) the government told ESPN that they couldn't, let's say, run video of a loss of the U.S. soccer team, ESPN would be screaming outrage.

But it's O.K. for ESPN to censor other people's opinions. It's the height of hypocrisy.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

1st Amendment only applies to the citizens' rights guaranteed by the government. Doesn't apply to private entities.

I do have to wonder one thing ... if this had been the Daily News rather than the Post, would they have bounced Lupica from his high chair at The Sports Reporters?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm really glad that I live in a country where, with the exception of Don Cherry, the coverage of sports is very much driven by sports themselves and not personalities.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The coverage of Don Cherry is very much driven by his fashion choices. :D

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the first part, ESPN would be throwing a fit, if say, the Red Sox, or Steelers or Lakers decided to ban them from the clubhouse/locker room. That's why it's hypocritical of them to be banning others.

As for your second part, hell no they wouldn't ben banning Lupica. ESPN loves their conflicts of interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted