1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN bans NY Post for running Andrews photos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Jul 23, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Any thoughts on this?? Seems a little bit of an overrreaction to punish Post sportswriters who had no role in the decision to run the photos.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/more/07/22/espn.andrews.video.ap/index.htm

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Link doesn't work.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Sorry. Cut off the last letter. This should work ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/more/07/22/espn.andrews.video.ap/index.html

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kind of ironic that a business whose bread and butter hinges on the First Amendment decides to muzzle others from using the same.

Then again, they've been acting like a fascist country for the last few days (at least) with the ban on Roethlisberger coverage.

5. somewriter

somewriter Member

They should be grateful more than anything .... I don't know, the first I heard about the whole Andrews thing was from ESPN. So it seems a little hypocritical to attempt to punish another outlet for this.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Who's the bigger Nazis now, ESPN or Nike?

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems the Post gets the better deal out of appearing on ESPN than ESPN gets using them. So yeah, I'm okay with what ESPN is doing. The first amendment doesn't say anything about guaranteeing the right to appear on Around The Horn.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think it is nice that they stick up for their employees the way they do.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's overkill.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nice that ESPN finds some entity whose standards it can hold its nose at.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And after you read this story on SI.com, you can go right to the link for 'Cheerleader of the Week.' Same page, so convenient!

Draft saved Draft deleted